Keeping vocal and guitar tracks separate

Jackster

Can someone give me some tips on recording a vocal track to a prerecorded guitar track?
I am using Sonar Producer 8.5. I have an Allen & Heath ZED 12FX Mixer. How do I hear the prerecorded guitar track and my vocals at the same time (in headphones) and not have any of the guitar track included with the vocal track as it records? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. Jack

Put the monitor on for the vocal track, then record the vocal part and you should be able to hear both the guitar and your vocal as you are recording

Can someone give me some tips on recording a vocal track to a prerecorded guitar track?
I am using Sonar Producer 8.5. I have an Allen & Heath ZED 12FX Mixer. How do I hear the prerecorded guitar track and my vocals at the same time (in headphones) and not have any of the guitar track included with the vocal track as it records? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. Jack

How are you going from the mixer back to the computer??

I've had mostly bad experiences recording with a mixer for this very reason which is why mixers aren't recommended for computer-based recording. The playback and recorded tracks get blended into one signal.

Record your vocal:

Press the LR Pre button under USB Send, set the gain correctly on the vocal channel and put the fader up to the zero mark.

Hear the guitar and your vocal:

A) Press both Aux 1 and Aux 2 buttons on the headphone source.

B) Press the On and To 11-12 buttons and turn up the USB RTN channel, press the Stereo button and turn up Aux 1 and Aux 2 on 11-12.

C) Turn up Aux 1 and Aux 2 on the vocal channel.

How are you going from the mixer back to the computer??

I've had mostly bad experiences recording with a mixer for this very reason which is why mixers aren't recommended for computer-based recording. The playback and recorded tracks get blended into one signal.

Mixers are great for recording into a DAW. It's all about the routing. The mixer in question is specifically designed to do this and has features to make it convenient for those willing to learn.

Mixers are great for recording into a DAW. It's all about the routing. The mixer in question is specifically designed to do this and has features to make it convenient for those willing to learn.

I looked up the mixer in question before answering, but didn't go into the details. I just assumed it was like the rest of the stereo mixers people try to record with.

I personally don't see the need for a mixer in a computer based recording system.

Hi Chili,
My Allen & Heath mixer has a USB connection. I have learned that it is basically a two track mixer. I monitor the playback on one AUX and record my vocals on the other AUX. I am still getting it figured out.

Thanks Boulder,
I will give this a try tonight after supper. I received some input from "Dags". I believe his advice is in the same ballpark as yours. I appreciate your help!

I did just that to start with but the guitar was being recorded along with the vocal track. I have since separated the two tracks by assigning each to a separate AUX. Thanks for the help Xaaron

Bouldersoundguy's directions for setting up my Allen&Heath ZED12FX mixer were exactly right! Works like a charm! Thanks again Bouldersoundguy!

Back