keeping up with the times

cat

It seems that every six months something comes out and promises to revolutionize the Recording world. Well I'm having a hard time trying to keep up with the latest trends. And, I am in no way operating a state-of-the-art recording studio, but I do want to have the best sound I can get for my money. I have a couple of pieces of gear that I have had for less than a year that is now considered obsolete. I'm wondering, how is it that, some of you who operate studios that rely on them to feed your families deal with the rate that technology changes the industry.

I dont operate a studio but those who do dont seem to struggle with it.....2" tape and ADAT still seem to be very viable options that have stood up to the test of time......

I feel the pusuit for the latest gear is a never ending quest

I have a confession to make, I'm a recovering gear-aholic. And for years, I've been fascinated by the new gear ads that claim that this product is the ultimate or next big thing, only to find out that it would have a shelf life of 8 months top. Because once a piece of equipment has outgrown its usefullness its just looked at as another relic of that era.
So, I bought a PC to record/mix/edit because of the leaps and bounds it has taken over dedicated audio gear as well as other industries.
About 5 years ago a friend of mine spent well over 40 grand building a home studio which included a 32 channel mixing console, the ADATs, DAT,and a host of rack equipment. But today he looks at me and my PC and wishes he would have waited a couple of years before he made such an investment.

Yo MEOW Man:

I just got a DAW Yam 2816 and it has more moves than 22 chicks all trying out for the lead part in a Broadway play.

But, I know technology will offer "major" changes about every 90 days. So, what am I looking at? The 2816 is a PC in a little square with a smaller screen.

What would I like? A unit that I can talk to. "I want to record on tracks 3 and 6, add some reverb for listening, etc."

That's what's coming in gear. If Yamaha doesn't start doing things in a simple manner, nobody will be able to read their manuals.

I like the 2816 but am beginning to find some real pain in the behind features like having to connect the tracks I want to use on the screen before I can record. There are more, but since I love recording GOOD sound, I'll just struggle along until some GREAT EASY GEAR IS HERE.

Green Hornet

Yo, Horn man of the Greenest green that can be seen,...

Not only do you have a way with words, but you know I've heard your stuff, which was quite good, etc. I'm really happy to hear you've gotten the ultra-high-techy-A2816, and I wish you good luck and good recordings. I can't wait to hear something you've recorded on the A2816, and it seems so exciting, to have the latest high tech recorder, I'm sure.

No doubt, things seem to get more high-techy all the time, and things can get complicated. You know where I stand on recording technology, but I'll agree with you wholeheartedly, when you say, "GREAT GEAR IS SIMPLE GEAR".

That's the whole truth, right there.

As far as obsolescence goes, I think you have to pick your best format, at the time, and go with it, for the long haul. No doubt, something new will come out in six months, and you should try to get your mind off 'gear envy', by putting your present 'almost-state-of-the-art' gear to good use. Use it 'til you've gotten your best use out of it, or have truly outgrown it.

In other words, pick your format, and drive the wheels off it.

Concentrate on the music, that's what counts most, and the gear is a transient/relative thing. A great song will transcend the medium,... if you know what I mean.

Back