Keeping Snare Bleed out of Kick Mic

brendandwyer said:
hey hey now, let's not get personal. Asshole :)

Hang dawg is right, albeit a bit crude.

If you put the pad before the preamp, you reduce the source to preamp. There are times when the microphone is picking up a level too hot for the preamp, you need to pad it. If pads were useless, you would not see pad switches on nearly every preamp and professional console.

This assclown deserves crude man. Fuck him! Nothing worse than someone who can't stand being wrong.

oooooooo neg'd anonymously

I'd guess it's big country as I got negged for laughing (in a big way) at him.......................not big enough to sign it though.......................COWARD

OK I freely admit I'm a jackass

but I know what a pad is :D :D

hey bed wetter Im sorry I for got that drums have extremly low SPL's .so they dont need pads .
and hey you got me for bad spelling man (your great man) Im glad all theis smart people are here to corect me .your Right man Im an american coward
not like those brits.

This is what i did to salve that problem, See when you just took the head off, your still leaving alot of room for the snare to get to the BD mic (shitty terminalogy i know), So what i did was bought a port hole (8.99) that was 5" wide and Stick the Mic about 3 inches inside the port hole and it takes pretty much all of the bleed from the snare and anyother things that might still be bleeding. They're may be a tad bit still there but you should be able to clear it up really easily with a gate or something.

big country said:
by the way what kind of educations do you all have?(Recording)
I have owned commercial recording studios for over 10 years. I ran a mobile unit for 4 years before that. Before that I worked at ZenithDB in Chicago where I spent time running a synclavier as well as the various Neotek and Amek consoles they had floating around the 8 control rooms. (the facility is now owned by Columbia College)

Before that I schlepped PA and lights for about 10 years.

I am intimately acquainted with line pads.

So, tell us what sort of degree do you need to beleive that a pad and a gate (or expander, for that matter) have any thing in common.

get a mic with a pad snap your finger in front of it with the pad off.
then snap your finger two feet away from the mic.
then do the same thing but with the pad on
and tell me that doesnt do anything
tards

big country said:
get a mic with a pad snap your finger in front of it with the pad off.
then snap your finger two feet away from the mic.
then do the same thing but with the pad on
and tell me that doesnt do anything
tards

yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

If you turn the level back up so the close snap with the pad is the same volume as the close snap without the pad, the far away snap will be the same volume as well. All a pad does is turn down the volume, if you make up the gain elsewhere it's a wash.

your right a gate is something on the side of my yard
and rami sounds like a jack ass

Rami

Maybe you should think think think...The snare will be lower because you're turning down the volume (padding)....So, if you use 2% of your brain, you'll figure out that since you turned down the volume (padding), you also turned down the volume of the kik....So, if you now want the volume of the kik to be a decent level, you have to turn up the track, which also brings up the snare volume that's leaking in. You obviously have no idea what a gate does, either, because you make absolutely no sense. All a pad does is turn down the volume. Fairview is right. You are wrong. Nothing worse than someone who has no idea what they're talking about trying to sound like an expert...It's almost embarraassing.
Read up a little on recording, get educated, THEN you can come back here and apologise to Fairview for being such an idiot with him.

some of the big boys are taking it a little personal.waaaaaaaaah
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
go cry to fuckin mom ass fucks.

Good God that guy is a fucking idiot.

Of course its going to sound different with the pad on, its 10dB (or whatever your mic/pre has) quieter!!! Will it help bleed? No! It is a VOLUME switch. Not a gate.

Jackass.

On second thought:

Big Country is probably just fucking around and getting us rilled up. I mean, someone can't be THAT stupid. Can they?

I never said it was a gate It can turn the volume down , making the mic less sensitive. sounds that are farther away are cut much more than the sounds that are close thats my argument. so in away a sound that is farther away would be cut more .their for easyer to gate thierfore easyer to separate.
so have a nice day big boys .O mighty ones

Back