keeping it simple

Clam Soup

Project 49
I noticed that plugging my guitar in direct, I get background hum - I'm just using a sound hole pickup and the cable isn't the right type.

So I played into the mic instead, and added a small touch of EQ to brighten the guitar.... then did two dry vocal tracks, and a tamborine. This is my cleanest recording so far.

What a brilliant song! Love it! And please don't add any other instruments, the simple mix suits the song perfectly.

I like the simple mix too, I think it suits the song. If you have more than one mic the guitar would have sounded good recorded with a stereo pair, it would just give it a bit of space.

"touch me like you know me"-gold. I see where everyone is coming from and agree for the most part about the sparse arrangement, but i think it's asking for some percussion. A shaker maybe? I like it a lot.

What kind of mics are you using?

I only have one mic - a Behringer C3. It has different settings on it and I sometimes change between them for a bit different pitch between tracks. .... I also change the placement of it around the room. In this song I think I left it the same all the way through with the exception of height. Which I changed for the tamborine.

I like the simple mix too, I think it suits the song. If you have more than one mic the guitar would have sounded good recorded with a stereo pair, it would just give it a bit of space.

I'm just learning how to record, so I only bought one mic. I don't have any monitors either, so I have to trust my headset.

"touch me like you know me"-gold. I see where everyone is coming from and agree for the most part about the sparse arrangement, but i think it's asking for some percussion. A shaker maybe? I like it a lot.

I tried my hand with a shaker .... I have been using the dog's choke chain cupped in my hands and shaking that - it sounds better than the "professional" shakers I have. But, couldn't get it to fit into this song.

"Touch me like you know me" ..... I drive Alaska Airline crews to and from their hotels.... Everyone of them LOVES the content of this song though I just recite the lyrics to them without music. I had one pilot laughing so hard I thought he might not get off of the ground.

I only have one mic - a Behringer C3

Yeah you can hear that it's not a high-end mic. If you're interested in more precision (not everyone is, like one of my heroes Jeffrey Lewis) how about saving up some money for a better one? With your songwriting abilities I almost feel compelled to urge you to get another mic.

Anyway, I actually think reganito's suggestion about adding a shaker could be a good idea, but I would be careful not to overdo it: It would only for certain parts of the song, if at all. I really think you've got something going.

I agree about not over-doing it, though it's calling for something. If you can find anything to suite it, leave it alone. It's a fantastic song on its own.

I've also been forbidden from playing it at the airport bar - if I end up on the "no fly list" life will suck because there is no road out of here.

I've also been forbidden from playing it at the airport bar - if I end up on the "no fly list" life will suck because there is no road out of here.

Well wait for another ice age. Like didn't someone cross the Behring(er) strait about 30-40.000 years ago? Stop polluting and we might have another age of crossing straits :D

I agree about not over-doing it, though it's calling for something. If you can find anything to suite it, leave it alone. It's a fantastic song on its own.

I thought about trying to cover a bass line on my guitar but my abilities seem to be limitted to slapping the strings around. Maybe Jimmy could throw down a bass line on this one.... old school style like the standing bass.... walk up, walk down, throw in the octive over for a taste of harmony and a bit of freedom to fill.

Back