Keep my Santa Cruz or...

Unsprung

...replace it with a better sound card? A buddy at an IRC chat linked me to a Radio Shack page showing a 1/4" jack - 1/8" jack cable that should work, but I figure I'll ultimately end up happier with a better sound card. My question is, which sound card?

My current setup = hp pavilion a422n (2.6GHz P4, 1GB RAM; 2x 250GB/16MB HDDs; 256MB GeForce FX 5500; Turtle Beach Santa Cruz; XP Pro SP2). For the recording stuff, I have a Line 6 Guitar POD 2.0, and Sony ACID Music Studio.

I may eventually look into going to ACID Pro, or even moving to the Mac platform, but for now I'll use what I have to start. I have another PC (an eMachines Vista box) that I can use for stuff like being here at HomeRecording.Com, so I can use the hp as a dedicated music recording/creation PC.

Matt

whats your budget? how many inputs/outputs do you need? Does your PC have firewire or an available PCI slot?

I'm looking to record as a one-man-band, so for now I just want to be able to record one instrument at a time. My budget will be limited to whatever I'm able to save in about three months, or am able to purchase within the time of a 90-day lay-away. In the future, I will be looking to buy both a Line 6 Guitar POD XT Pro, and a Line 6 Bass POD XT Pro, although an entry level Bass POD would suit my more immediate needs. No matter where I start, from my current setup, I can foresee my home recording studio being in a somewhat constant state of change...adding to and upgrading as I go.

Matt

I've never needed anything more than a Santa Cruz level card for simple one-man-and recordings.

Back