karma - so what if a monkey can play it?

gbvgbv

after shopping extensively for a $600-$700 keyboard/synth/workstation i keep coming back to how cool the karma ($1800) sounds and feels and plays.

i know there are some purists that knock the karma cuz its so easy to just push a button and get everything going that a monkey could play it - but i think that if a monkey could play it, a musician could really get it screaming - it really does seem to offer a lot of control beyond the pushbutton.

one assumption i have, since no one can tell me for sure, is that with MIDI ports, it (like all keyboards with MIDI ports) should be able to play my own samples and softwarr synths - can anyone confirm this and also, comments on karma would be helpful.

Goto the Korg website

Not only is there an online streaming demo, they will send you a free video tape in the mail (I just watched mine).

Here's the thing. There are plenty of keyboards with arpeggiators and other crutches in them, but if you don't use these tools creatively it WILL show after about 10 minutes.

You can't let the board do all the work for a perfomance. If you can't cut is as a player people will get bored listening to the keyboard essentially play itself.

There has never been a peice of hardware that could put a proficient player out of work. Anyone that is afraid that a keyboard will outdo them needs to practice a lot more. Anyone that snubs this (or any other TOOL) for it's ability to make a person sound like he knows what he's doing (for 10 whole minutes) should think back to the "Magic Genie" organ. That was designed to make anyone sound like a pro, but did it?

Carl

I have had my Karma for about three weeks now and it is fantastic... It is incredibly more flexible than I first imagined, and it has already found its way into a couple of songs that I have been working on in ways I never thought possible...

Yes, a monkey may be able to play some of the presets... But I have a Monkey Chauffer that drives me around town, and there is no shame in that, is there?

Back