just two songs, and alittle help would be cool

hrwmusic

Your mo-o-ovin' so fast..
So hey everyone, ive got a new recording that i did both guitar (acoustic) and vocals at the same time. but i have an ovation that i pluged in direct and i recorded my vocals through a v67g. i mic'd myself closer than usual this time because ive been having alittle trouble getting a loud enough sound from my mic-even with my gain as high as it can be. i am recording through a fast track pro and i know there is enough phantom power.
the song is called simple and sweet and its on www.purevolume.com/harrisonweber
any ideas? suggestions? I do still have a little cold (which is driving me crazy).
---------
also... i have another song on there that i have a question with... i recently received two awesome speakers, that are made by marantz (imperial 7). they are around 50 years old and in great condition. im using an old record player as an amp for it, which may be a source of noise...
it is called "inst guitar part"
any suggestions with noise and what you think of the guitar riff?
for some reason the frequency seems to be too much for my ears, what do you think. I used my ibanez artcore simi hollowbody guitar for this. and i recorded this to go with the lyrics so you will have to skip to the middle to hear the chorous. Its simple but i liked the bassy and smooth feel.

i know this is alot but id be very thankful for any help at all...

thanks again,
hw

Attachments

• speakers.jpg
    speakers.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 68
I think I listened to one of your songs a while back, that you had written for your girl or something. As I said on that one, practice as often as you can.

You have some really nice song ideas, just need to perfect them a bit more.

The recording is simple and sweet, very live. It has a pleasant quality to it.

Keep on keepin' on, it only gets better!!

TRUE :)

true-eurt said:
I think I listened to one of your songs a while back, that you had written for your girl or something. As I said on that one, practice as often as you can.

You have some really nice song ideas, just need to perfect them a bit more.

The recording is simple and sweet, very live. It has a pleasant quality to it.

Keep on keepin' on, it only gets better!!

thanks-it was a one take thing. does the live feel work, or is there too much reverb

Nutdotnet said:
How about ridiculously quiet? I had to crank everything to
listen to it...not good!

hmm, yeah, i have my speakers on 3/4 the way up, but it was blaring out of my other ones (in the picture up there.) and the just guitar part should be loud enough. But yeah, i didnt touch either of the mixes what so ever, so i didnt get a chance to change anything. but like i said, im having trouble with volume on my mic...any suggestions?

what about the guitar part?

-thanks... :D

I personally like the live feel of it. No, I don't think there is too much reverb. I do however, feel some lows in it would be of benefit.

I have a pair of M-Audio DX4 monitors that I listen through and you came through loud and clear on them.

Sorry I can't be more helpful to you.

Nutdotnet said:
How about ridiculously quiet? I had to crank everything to listen to it...not good!

I agree - too quiet a mix - can't enjoy this because I'm straining to hear it through my PC speakers turned up full.

Ok so all you have to do if figure out why your levels are so low. Could be your fast track pro is defective, because both the mic (vocals) and guitar are equally low in volume.

What software are you using to record? Does it have a gain control on it that needs to be turned up? What kind of levels are you seeing in the meters? Any info you can provide might help determine the problem.....

ido1957 said:
I agree - too quiet a mix - can't enjoy this because I'm straining to hear it through my PC speakers turned up full.

Ok so all you have to do if figure out why your levels are so low. Could be your fast track pro is defective, because both the mic (vocals) and guitar are equally low in volume.

What software are you using to record? Does it have a gain control on it that needs to be turned up? What kind of levels are you seeing in the meters? Any info you can provide might help determine the problem.....

well, i can raise my guitar volume (direct) all the way up untill it cuts. so guitar is fine... do you think it is the mic? mxlv67 with a mainline mic cable. theres enough ph power, it should atleast. and my gain selection can be up all the way and it would take alot to cut. also it gets noisy when its up all the way.

i dont see whats wrong. any ideas. should my mic be louder. its alot harder to record because it does it so quiet.

----
i whistled almost directly into it with about 75% up on the gain and i hardly got anything

-----
edit:

also, when trying both channels i dicovered that the sides of my mic picked up more than the center? what the heck? the v67g deffidentally is a cardioid

Last edited:
Strange - sounds like a problem with the mic if the guitar volume can come up and loud input (whistle) makes only a low signal. All I can suggest is take the mic, cable and pre to the music store and try them with alternate mic/cable/pre's to see if you can determine the culprit. (or use alternate sources/cables of your own if you have them at home) Let us know what you find ......

ido1957 said:
Strange - sounds like a problem with the mic if the guitar volume can come up and loud input (whistle) makes only a low signal. All I can suggest is take the mic, cable and pre to the music store and try them with alternate mic/cable/pre's to see if you can determine the culprit. (or use alternate sources/cables of your own if you have them at home) Let us know what you find ......

well my preamp is my fast track pro, so i dont know how i can test that, but im my moms friend (she toured and knows a bit about recording) said that she could help me out a bit. what luck!

ill let you all know!

sighs...

ok ok, after much trial and error i found out that i was just an idiot.
laughs...since im so relived i can just come right out and say that i was singing into the top of my mic rather than the side (which i actually foreshadowed above lol). So yes im new at this, but yeah...everythings cool and if you want you can check out a newly recorded "simple and sweet." at the same site:

www.purevolume.com/harrisonweber

Listened to "Simple And Sweet". Guitar and vocal are very near the same volume. Guitar kinda covers up the vocal. Makes it difficult to understand the words. Maybe eq or reverb the guitar to send it "behind the vocal". Or, volume down the guitar, then volume up the whole mix.

Nick98338 said:
Listened to "Simple And Sweet". Guitar and vocal are very near the same volume. Guitar kinda covers up the vocal. Makes it difficult to understand the words. Maybe eq or reverb the guitar to send it "behind the vocal". Or, volume down the guitar, then volume up the whole mix.

thanks for the help man, ive been recording mono so i couldnt really alter anything now, but ill keep that in mind, because i have good control over my guitars volume.

thanks again!

That's so much better! Now I can hear the tune. Glad to hear it wasn't a broken mic issue. That mic is pretty sensitive as to the direction you have to sing in - guess that helps reduce sounds from other sources.
The recording is good and clean and the tune is good too - enjoyed listening. You can separate the guitar and the vocals using a bit of selective eq'ing - but you'll probably need to add some kind of mixer with eq on it to get that happening (reduce certain frequencies on guitar and up the same ones on vocals). You could also use a bit of compression to even out the vocals - the da da da's at the end were louder than the verse. Actually they were a better volume there, so maybe use that proximity when singing for now so the vocals are more present.
Glad it all worked out and thanks for sharing!

Back