Just tracked with my "new" guitar...

hiwatt357

I bought a used 1998 Hamer Standard (import model) Thanksgiving week, and I finally got a chance track with it tonight to see how it sounds "on tape".

I just decided to record what is pretty much the first riff/song I ever came up with for my first band when I was in college (1989...I was 19).

It's quick and dirty...everything is pretty much the first take, and it's a quick mix.

The song is here, and the title is "Bakker Chapter 1".

I took mental notes from the input of the last track I posted and kept the bass guitar pretty loud in the mix.

All input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Hot guitar sounds happening here....you picked up a great guitar from the sounds of it - congrats.

The cymbals are not right though - maybe somebody else can help out with the eq'ing/micing issues - all I can say is that they are harsh.

Bass is good and rest of drums are great too, only the cymbals need something IMHO.

And the riffs are very cool.....pretty good for the first riff you wrote...

ido1957 said:
Hot guitar sounds happening here....you picked up a great guitar from the sounds of it - congrats.

The cymbals are not right though - maybe somebody else can help out with the eq'ing/micing issues - all I can say is that they are harsh.

Bass is good and rest of drums are great too, only the cymbals need something IMHO.

And the riffs are very cool.....pretty good for the first riff you wrote...

Thanks for the input. I only have 4 mics on the drums (one on the kick, one on the snare and one over each tom), so I really don't have any overhead mics. I did, however, run the drums through the compression and eq effect on my Boss BR-532. It seems to add some "umph" to the kick and toms. I suppose I could dial down the high-end, though, if the cymbals are coming off as too harsh.

And thanks for the comments on the guitar. I'm pretty happy with it. Could be the best $250 I ever spent. As for the riff...yeah, there's something about it that is still cool even after 16 years. Weird how that works.

Last edited:
Back