Just throw it up & see if it sticks...

matttheaxe

I have been frequenting a lot of concerts lately with my 16 year old daughter.
I'm seeing a ton of bands doing the same ole thing right now. Just like the big hair band days of yester-year they are simply cashing in on what's hip.
(same with the billionaire guy who invented those 1 cent wrist thingy's every kid has)
What I noticed is that most of these bands have tons of followers, yet little or no label support. Just the typical MySpace page. Apparently, it starts with one listener and by word of mouth gets around fast.

So my guess is you need to just throw it up and see if it sticks. If not, it's either just not hip or maybe it just stinks.

(If you are curious as to what's hip... sing like a 15 year old, whine a lot, scream a little...sing whoa whoa whoa in every chorus... try to look as ugly as you can...dime the gain, cut the mids and spank the guitars hard... do this and you're sure to make it:spank:

I pretty much agree, but you'd be surprised at how well some of these guys have learned to use the new marketing machine. They don't have the big label support, but they are pretty much experts on social media, using Facebook, Twitter, getting followers, e-mail lists and marketing like you wouldn't believe!

What I really meant is that it's the FANS doing the marketing for them via word of mouth. Even with ReverbNation people have to take the time to find you.

I have produced a CD that I really think could appeal to a lot of people. I have studied and tried many of the approaches, yet very little success. The music is good. A bit weird. I call it "funkbilly". The problem is that I don't gig at all. Can't and won't. Over time I'll sell some on CD baby, itunes, Amazon, etc.

Just a little fish swimming in an overcrowded swamp with no visibility.:(

(If you are curious as to what's hip... sing like a 15 year old, whine a lot, scream a little...sing whoa whoa whoa in every chorus... try to look as ugly as you can...dime the gain, cut the mids and spank the guitars hard... do this and you're sure to make it:spank:

... use a cute but "creative" spelling of your band's name. Acquire the nick-name "The Fab Four," and call yourself "The Beatles..."

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

What I really meant is that it's the FANS doing the marketing for them via word of mouth. Even with ReverbNation people have to take the time to find you.

I have produced a CD that I really think could appeal to a lot of people. I have studied and tried many of the approaches, yet very little success. The music is good. A bit weird. I call it "funkbilly". The problem is that I don't gig at all. Can't and won't. Over time I'll sell some on CD baby, itunes, Amazon, etc.

Just a little fish swimming in an overcrowded swamp with no visibility.:(

There are some subtle things that the good "new marketers" know about that I would never have thought about. I read an article last night about this. One thing they hit on is have you ever actually bought YOUR music on itunes, amazon, cdbaby etc. Seems strange but its like saying I want to make a podcast, but never ever listened or subscribed to one.

The point was to know the experience your customer has. One thing that comes from this is that after your purchase itunes, for example will pop up with recommendations for other music you might like, or the "other people that bought this also like these" If your song pops up on a recommendation when people buy something in the top ten, guess what happens to your sales?
Just some thoughts for you. Hell, you should market right now. If I knew the name of your album, where to find it and heard a sample, I just might buy the thing, me likes funkbilly!

You're forgetting that you're not appealing to the masses of young teens with your music. You're not a teen, but you're already looking down on teen music LOL. First, these screamo emo bands have half their high school as a street team marketing for them. What do teens have more of then we do? TIME. Nothing better to do most the time. How many times do you hear teens say "I'm Bored"?

Sometimes you have to be in the right place at the right time. You have to be a Fan of the kind of music you play and know your audience. Put yourself in your fans shoes. If you as a person who enjoys your kind of music hears your CD and compare it to a BIG name band in it's genre would you still buy it? You have to be honest with yourself.

You may spend years flooding the internet with your advertisement to only get a few sales. If you have a little extra money a lot of these websites will put your ads on people's pages who might be interested in your music. It's not too expensive. You'll have to hit every angle in order to really make an impact which takes months to years of sitting at the comp trying to make a ton of new fans. That's the reality. No matter how good you think it is if you don't have someone else doing the work for you then you have to do it yourself...

I listened to a few songs lol. I think you missed the band waggon for that style of music. Reminds me of kid rock or something...

Back