Just starting

scotsman1

First hi.....when i saw how many topics and files i new i had, after
some searching found the right place to ask all my newbie questions.

I've a Yamaha DD55 drumpad machine and i'm getting into some home
recordind with some friends, nothing to tech just they send me a song
and i hope to add some percussion to it.

I bought the cable and it's connected onto my soundblaster sound card,
i went to Yamahas site and followed there instructions to dl song filer.
I did this and after a lot of frustration managed to get the pc and song
filer to recognise my machine.

Now the next step ? do i need some better software than song filer, do i
have to convert the files sent so they show up on song filer, no songs
show when i open it, does that mean there the wrong type of file?

Just where do i go from here, i know patience is a virtue but just some
simple directions will be much appreciated.

thanks

Im not familiar with the 'Song filer' which you state in your post, but if its a programme for the machine your using, i would think it would work.

You say your friend records a track and then sends it to you so you add percussion? The best thing your friend can do is save the file as a .wav file and send it you either on a CD or over the net (.wav files are usually quite large files so you may need a fast connection if your going to do that).

In the programme i would think there will be an import tab where you can bring the audio track your friend has done into the 'song filer' programme. If your friend has recorded it on a keyboard, then it will most likely be a midi file, therefore you will need to import it to a midi track and not an audio track within the programme.

Dont really know what else to say. Like i said, im not familiar at all with that programme, so im sorry i cant help more.

Hope some of that helps though,

Good luck.

It says in Yamaha instructions you can load on your fave songs and play along, if the song you want to load to the machine is a mp3 would i be right in saying you need to convert it to a SMF midi file and what software would i need to convert. :)

You cant convert mp3 to midi as midi isn't an audio format. Can the software use both audio and midi formats or is it just midi?

I think it's just midi, when i open the sound filer and look at music on my pc none shows up, just empty folders ,but when i record me playing along to a tune already on the machine and transfer it to my pc, that shows up in the filer. I downloaded some from yamahas site and they show up on filer but no others.

Last edited:
Ok, well if its just midi then you will need to get your friend to record via midi to send it you. He wont be able to do this with a guitar or bass etc unless he gets a midi converter to stick on it which can be quite pricey.

If you want to get another programme which is compatible with both midi and audio, try searching these forums for various programmes which you can buy quite cheaply. Try looking especially at Cubase which i found to be great programme to learn on.

Good luck,

Back