Just starting

Nateneal1966

I am seeking software advice.

Before upgrading the entire system I want to dabble with some older versions of the softwares to see what the heck I am doing.

I have a Pentium III 667 mhz Windows 98se PC.
USB and firewire PCI card in the back.

Within the next year I plan on upgrading the PC and software to a current version.

What I am looking for is a cheap introduction to computer recording with my current set up. I have a Mackie 1402pro mixer for microphones. I know I need hardware to get from the mackie to the computer. Is there a quick and cheap way to do this? Or should I pony up for the Tacam $200 or the Lexicon omega?

Can someone suggest a $200 software/hardware solution that would work on my current setup? Or maybe tell me is it worth the Tascam and then use it when i upgrade?

You must kick your RAM up to 384, 512 is better. For $200 you can get a Emu 1212M, for $250 you can get a M-Audio 1010LT. Compare both carefully. Do not dismiss the Emu too quickly... it has ADAT.

Both of these should come with some castrated software to get you started. You can also get n-Tracks or PowerTracks pretty cheap, and Mackie Tracktion is free through the end of the year.

Luck.

wheelma beat me to the Tracktion response. Check the specs on the EMU stuff, because I'm not sure it supports Win98 (the 0404 doesn't). Also, I run with 128 meg of RAM. If you're only recording yourself, you won't need more RAM.

Not sure what Tascam you are referring to, but there are several inexpensive soundcards that will get you started in computer recording.

For instance, M-Audio 2496 supports Win 98.

Software- There are programs like N-Tracks and Tracktion and Powertracks available for little or no cost.

These will work on your system most likely, but you're not going to get a lot of tracks.

Oh, I would recommend staying away from Lexicon. I made the mistake of purchasing their Core 2 system a few years ago only to be abandoned a few months later when they dropped the product and found myself left with a near worthless soundcard. Lexicon should not be in the audio interface business, IMO. Now things might have changed in the interim, I don't know. What I think is that audio interfaces are not their core business and therefore they really aren't adept at handling them.

Good luck!

Ted

The sound card is SoundMAX integrated digital audio. I have a subwoofer and two regular speakers to it. I am going to line to the PA eventually.

soundmax s/b fine

before i got a regular recording interface, i used the soundmax integrated audio on my dell and it worked fine. run the mixer into the line-in NOT the mic input.
i agree with the traktion, n-trak, powertraks type things. audacity is free and quite good (no midi). i find traktion SOOOO easy to use. :o ;) :rolleyes:

Back