Just starting, really basic recording

Status
Not open for further replies.

cian

Hi all,

I've never really done any recording before but all I want to do is some really simple stuff so I hope someone can help me out. I don't want to do any post production or anything and I don't expect the quality of the recording to be high.

All I want to do is record some music covers to put up on Facebook or Youtube for fun. So far I've just taken the video with my camera and more or less stuck it straight up but the audio is really weak when I do this and I have to turn my volume up all the way just to hear it.

I'm not really looking to spend money on this yet. I have 2 wireless USB microphones that I could probably use but I don't know what software I could record with. I'll also probably have a good few cases where I will want to mix several tracks/videos together but nothing fancy, just as long as the timing is right.

If anyone could recommend any easy to use software that I could do this with (some of the paid programs I've seen are fairly intimidating) or if you have any general tips, please help me out:)

1) You need recording software to record the audio (from your USB mics). Reaper is free to download and try.
2) You need video software that will let you mute the audio when you do the video recording on your camera and let you synch up and add the audio you recorded with the mic/Reaper. I use Roxio Creator (only because it had other things I wanted, the video was an extra feature), but there are lots of choices.

If its for fun, enjoy, but you may find yourself in the continuing realization that you need better equipment for better sound (true): good (non-USB) mic, audio interface, monitors .....

Another alternative is to invest in Sony Vegas. You can record directly in to this video editing program, and has a method of operation very similar to Reaper.

1) You need recording software to record the audio (from your USB mics). Reaper is free to download and try.
2) You need video software that will let you mute the audio when you do the video recording on your camera and let you synch up and add the audio you recorded with the mic/Reaper. I use Roxio Creator (only because it had other things I wanted, the video was an extra feature), but there are lots of choices.

If its for fun, enjoy, but you may find yourself in the continuing realization that you need better equipment for better sound (true): good (non-USB) mic, audio interface, monitors .....

Thanks I'll give Reaper a go.

I'm sure you're right and I'll probably gradually invest in better stuff, especially as I'm usually very fussy about audio quality. It's just that I don't want to blow a lot of money starting out when I mightn't even keep it up for too long.

I tried Sony Vegas before and it seemed okay but it wasn't cheap. Might give it another try to see if it's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back