Just Starting out

sirllamalot

Hey, im completely new to all this so would greatly appreciate some help.

I want to set up a studio in my room, using my laptop. Budget is very small so any equipment would have to be gd but cheap. would a mixer with USB out be sufficient? I have looked at the Alesis Multimix USB range? with a good DAW? Cubase or sumthing like that? or would another setup be better?

I would like to be able to record demo CD's mainly, and im a vocalist but would like a way to incorporate Piano/Keyboard, Guitar and Drums into my recordings. What is the best way to do this? I am very familiar with Analogue mixers as have done lots of live sound events before, so if it all possible would like a mixer that could do a bit of this also? but if this is a huge restraint then recording is of course the main function needed. With regards to soundcards, would a new external one be better? my laptop is new but i feel the inbuilt soundcard may not be up to scratch? or should it be able to cope with this demand.

Any suggestions on equipment or any other help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Sirllamalot

*Where there's a Will, there's a way!"

sirllamalot said:
...any equipment would have to be gd but cheap.
That's a bit of a problem, then, isn't it? ....RNC, RNP, SM57 -- that's about the extent of "good but cheap" gear available.

There's a lot of "cheap" out there, and 97% of it is shit....

yeh i realise gd but cheap is an oxymoron, but obviously their is reasonable stuff that will work untill i can upgrade and stuff that is not worth having. My budget is £1000 max? its only really for home use, and a hobby, untill i can uprade. so really a very basic, beginner setup that will produce good results, but nothign near professional recordings. I have a few Shure mics already.

thanks for your help

Will

If your laptop has a firwire port, I'd look at a firewire auido interface (e.g.,M-Audio Octopre); that has 8-channels with preamps. You can use this with a program such as Cubase. This would allow you to record up to 8-tracks at a time for something like drums. If you don't need that many tracks, you could look into the USB interfaces, some of which I think can do up to 4-tracks at this point. Go to an on-line pro-audio retailer and search under digital recording interfaces if you want to see what's available.

i dont know much about the fire wire interfaces, but i own a lexicon omega usb interface and for the price i think its pretty good. i keep buying things and hooking them up to it so far i got an art preamp, an eq,a headphone amp, a compressor, and a mixer hooked up to this thing.It has two mic inputs and 4 line inputs, decent sound for just beginning.

Back