Just starting out and I have a few questions.

Txlermasou

Before I start I'll give a bit about myself. I'm an 18 year old musician, I play drums bass and guitar and I've played in a couple small time bands with friends. I really want to get into recording but I have absolutely no knowledge on the subject and no experience other than going to studios to record demos. Basically it's just something that I have an interest in and I really want to learn about it. I have a buddy that runs his own small studio in his basement, so I asked him to show me some of the basics and he said yes, but only if I buy some basic gear first and record something for him. The list he gave me includes: a computer with at least 4gigs of ram, a two channel FireWire/USB interface, a microphone or guitar and reference monitors. I already have the computer, guitar and mic covered(Although I don't know how good the mic is for recording, It's just been used at band practices) but I have no idea what the interface or reference monitors are and when I try looking them up all I can really find are discussions by people who already know what they're talking about rather than an explanation of what they are for. So basically I'd like to know what exactly they are and how much approximately I should be willing to pay for a basic set up. Thanks in advance and I apologize if this post made me sound like a complete idiot haha.

Not that it matters, but why does he require you to buy equipment and record him when he has his own studio? Why wouldn't he just have you record him in his studio with his equipment, while teaching you what you are doing?? Anyway, the monitors are for reviewing/mixing what you have recorded and are one of if not THE MOST important thing not to skimp on when setting up your studio. Be ready to spend ~$800 on a pair of monitors (list price) anything under that price point isn't a worthwhile investment. The interface is basically a professional sound card. Yes, your computer already has a sound card, it sucks. Plus audio interfaces allow you to connect mics/instruments to your computer to record into a DAW (something not listed that is necessary) If you plan on recording a band, I would suggest an interface with more than 2 inputs. With only 2 inputs, you are pretty much limiting yourself to recording one track at a time, as well as the fact that if you want to record acoustic drums you will also need a mixer. A DAW digital audio workstation, is the recording program you use. These can be expensive, but there are also free ones available. A lot of people on this forum seem to like Reaper. I know nothing about Reaper, as I use Ableton. If you were to buy one mic, I would suggest getting a large diaphragm condenser mic. They are the most versatile. If you can find one with a switch to drop the sensitivity that would be nice.

That being said, if I were to create a shopping list for you for: mic, monitors, and interface only, I would say to budget around $1200 if you plan on buying new equipment. If you buy used you can probably cut that almost in half.

Anyway, your friend is an asshole, if he is not willing to teach you the basics in his studio so you can see if recording is something you would like to get into, I would see if you can get an internship at one of the studios you have recorded at. I WOULD NOT BUY ANY EQUIPMENT UNTIL YOU INTERN IN A STUDIO TO SEE IF YOU LIKE IT/HAVE WHAT IT TAKES <---- Go back and read that a couple of times!!!

I hope I've helped, good luck!

Read the sticky threads at the top of this section of the forum for lots more information.

Audio interface - gets the analog signal form your instrument or mic and converts it to a digital signal. If you are only recording one instrument or mic at a time, you only need a single channel interface, but most likely you will want more channels so you can record each input separately. If recording a full drum set, for example, you might want 6, 8 or more mics (and each one needs a preamp in the AI). You can spend from $100 to hundreds or thousands of dollars for an AI.

Reference Monitors - not meaning to contradict previous reply, but you do not need to spend $800. Lower price monitors will not give you a flat response (neither will many higher priced monitors), but you can learn to use what you have - unless you have a mixing room that has been acoustically balanced and treated, higher priced monitors are no better than cheap ones, either. Monitors are speakers to allow you to mix your recorded tracks together in a way that will sound good on other systems when you burn them to a CD or MP3 them and put them online. Mixing with headphones can be done, but its a challenge (there are plenty of threads here about it, if you search around).

Ok, a few resources which are specific to your questions.

Here's an overview of multitrack interfaces - sizes and costs to suit most budgets.

A post on monitoring - headphones and/or speakers - again it depends on budget. If you're keeping it slim, get a quality pair of headphones - much better v4m compared to speakers

and finally, an overview of how much to budget for a home studio which includes everything from mic stands to interfaces.

Really hope you find at least some of that useful.

Andrew

Not that it matters, but why does he require you to buy equipment and record him when he has his own studio? Why wouldn't he just have you record him in his studio with his equipment, while teaching you what you are doing??

I hope I've helped, good luck!
Not when you go around calling someone's friend, whom you don't even know, an asshole. That's unnecessary.
I have a buddy that runs his own small studio in his basement, so I asked him to show me some of the basics and he said yes, but only if I buy some basic gear first and record something for him.
That said, this does appear to be somewhat bizarre. I don't think you should buy a thing until you've done a couple of sessions. The object of the excercise is to pick up a few bits and pieces. If it's for you, then start to buy and practice for yourself.
I apologize if this post made me sound like a complete idiot
It hasn't but you've left yourself open to the wrong kind of speculation.
To be fair to Fetuslasvegas, some excellent suggestions are made in their post, which are worth at least considering.
One thing that might be an idea if you don't mind reading is to download a manual, any manual, of a DAW or portastudio {those ancient cassette based relics of yesteryear :D} and go through it, just to see what you pick up. It'll give you an overview.
That might sound daft, but many of us here are self taught.

Back