Just picked up my new baby!!!

I played an SG for years with .9's on it with no problems. The main thing is just setting it up properly. Do that and I don't foresee any problems.
Cool!

Awesome looking guitar. Congrats man! I'm thinking I'll probably need one of those too one fine day.
Thanx man. Yeah, I love them for a few reasons. I've always loved the look of an SG more than any other guitar. But also, being a lefty, the double cutaway allows me to play the higher frets just as easy as if it was a real lefty. :cool:

Encouraging advice, guys. Thanx

Ido, I can't see myself playing with anything other than 9-42's. I hope it doesn't cause too many problems, but I can never really bend in tune anyway, so maybe it will help. :D
An SG has a shorter scale length than your Strat. If you use 9s on your Strat, 10s on the SG should feel about the same. You might find 9s on the SG to bee too "slinky".

An SG has a shorter scale length than your Strat. If you use 9s on your Strat, 10s on the SG should feel about the same. You might find 9s on the SG to bee too "slinky".

I didn't know that. Even though, I probably wouldn't mind slinkier. It's stiffer that I wouldn't like. I told them to set it up for 9's when they change the nut, etc....If I try 10's, do I need to get the neck re-adjusted, or is it not that big a deal?

I didn't know that. Even though, I probably wouldn't mind slinkier. It's stiffer that I wouldn't like. I told them to set it up for 9's when they change the nut, etc....If I try 10's, do I need to get the neck re-adjusted, or is it not that big a deal?

Nah, you should be fine going up to 10s if you want to. Going up or down a gauge isn't really a problem. You shouldn't need to readjust anything. Meticulous people might give it a complete re-setup, but regular non-psycho people get by just fine with just a one gauge change. Do one string at a time to keep tension on the neck if you decide to change them out. Or just learn to play the SG with 9s. It will probably feel "softer" than what you're used to with the Strat.

I'm a 9s on Strat scale, 10s on Gibson scale kind of guy. They feel about the same to me that way. I think Lt Bob feels the same way, but he uses a gauge heavier than me for each scale length.

Nah, you should be fine going up to 10s if you want to. Going up or down a gauge isn't really a problem. You shouldn't need to readjust anything. Do one string at a time to keep tension on the neck if you decide to change them out. Or just learn to play the SG with 9s. It will probably feel "softer" than what you're used to with the Strat.

I'm a 9s on Strat scale, 10s on Gibson scale kind of guy. They feel about the same to me that way. I think Lt Bob feels the same way, but he uses a gauge heavier than me for each scale length.

Cool. Thanx.

Being a drummer, my first few years of guitar "playing" was picking up whoever's guitar I happened to be in a band with at the time, for the few minutes that I could screw around on their guitar and get them to teach me stuff. So, over the years I got used to every guitar feeling different. I also learned how to play literally upside down that way, since I'm a lefty and I was always picking up right handed guitars. I do have my strings switched around now, but I can do quite a bit of stuff upside down, and you sometimes come up with riffs you wouldn't have come up with if you weren't doodling upside down.

But anyway, what I wanted to say is that whenever I played a guitar with 8's, I actually liked the feel more. So, hopefully I'll feel that on the SG.

Cool. Thanx.

Being a drummer, my first few years of guitar "playing" was picking up whoever's guitar I happened to be in a band with at the time, for the few minutes that I could screw around on their guitar and get them to teach me stuff. So, over the years I got used to every guitar feeling different. I also learned how to play literally upside down that way, since I'm a lefty and I was always picking up right handed guitars. I do have my strings switched around now, but I can do quite a bit of stuff upside down, and you sometimes come up with riffs you wouldn't have come up with if you weren't doodling upside down.

But anyway, what I wanted to say is that whenever I played a guitar with 8's, I actually liked the feel more. So, hopefully I'll feel that on the SG.

Wow, 8s are light. 8s on an SG would probably feel like they're falling off. Lol. I think Billy Gibbons uses 7s!

I'm not too big on string gauges and shit. I just got used to them feeling a certain way and that's how I stay. 10s on a Gibson or 9s on a Strat is about as "standard" and baseline as one can get. It's kind of like 5A sticks. Everyone has their preferences with drumsticks, but anyone can play with 5As.

Wow, 8s are light. 8s on an SG would probably feel like they're falling off. Lol. I think Billy Gibbons uses 7s!

I'm not too big on string gauges and shit. I just got used to them feeling a certain way and that's how I stay. 10s on a Gibson or 9s on a Strat is about as "standard" and baseline as one can get. It's kind of like 5A sticks. Everyone has their preferences with drumsticks, but anyone can play with 5As.

Right. I didn't mean I'd put 8's on the SG. I meant, hopefully 9's will feel like 8's.

Good analogy on the 5A's.:cool:

9s on the SG will approximately feel like 8s on a Strat scale length.

What drum sticks do you use?

I like 5Bs myself. On some of my faster songs I'll use 5As. When I was using AHeads, I was using 2Bs! That was like swinging clubs.

9s on the SG will approximately feel like 8s on a Strat scale length.

What drum sticks do you use?

I like 5Bs myself. On some of my faster songs I'll use 5As. When I was using AHeads, I was using 2Bs! That was like swinging clubs.
Wow! 2B's. I don't always use the same sticks, and the different sizes mean different things with different companies often. My favorite sticks are Pro-Mark 808 (I think). But they're really expensive and not everyone carries them. I was using Zildjian's for a while. I think 5B's. I usually just pick up a few pairs and try them out. I know right away by how they feel in my hands weather I'll like them or not. So, often I don't even notice the size, or I forget.

Wow! 2B's. I don't always use the same sticks, and the different sizes mean different things with different companies often. My favorite sticks are Pro-Mark 808 (I think). But they're really expensive and not everyone carries them. I was using Zildjian's for a while. I think 5B's. I usually just pick up a few pairs and try them out. I know right away by how they feel in my hands weather I'll like them or not. So, often I don't even notice the size, or I forget.
I do that too. I always go for the cheapos, but I grab a bunch and feel em out. I avoid any stick with visible grain discoloring as those always break on the grain line for me. And of course, they gotta be straight and I prefer a short taper. I'm not too picky about brands though. Anything 5A or 5B, straight, no grain, short taper, oval or acorn tip, I'm good and I'll turn that bitch into sawdust.

yep .... 10's for me on strat scale and 11's on gibbys

Billy Gibbons uses .7's or .8's. At least that's what his guitar tech said on Rig Rundow by Premier Guitar Magazine. If that's true, he definitely has a light touch!:guitar:

Just brought her home. She's healthy, happy and weighs about 15lbs. She has my eyes. :eek:

SG.jpg

Weird. In the picture, she seems to be the same shade of red as my drums. But, even though the drum shade is correct in the picture, the SG is actually way darker than it is in the picture.

Weird. In the picture, she seems to be the same shade of red as my drums. But, even though the drum shade is correct in the picture, the SG is actually way darker than it is in the picture.

That happened to me too a few months back when I was selling a red Fender Prodigy on the net. I didn't notice until after I'd put the ad up that the guitar was pink in the pictures. As I didn't want to re-upload and whatnot I just mentioned in the ad that the guitar is red, not pink.

Anyway congrats again, sweet looking guitar. I'm not a fan of shorter scales but that's just a matter of taste and preference.

Thanx man. I got to get used to it. Everything seems to be moved over. Half the body is empty, and where I usually pick, there's a bridge right there. I'll get used to it, though. When I first picked it up, I thought I was playing the 5th fret, but I was actually on the 7th. The 5th fret was a few inches away. :eek:

One thing I love is that I can reach the last fret as a lefty, because of the double cutaway. I always had trouble playing past the 15th fret on my Strat.

Back