Just noticed something: (monitor issue)

jrhager84

expert newb
My monitors are playing the L and R channels on each one. When I'm in my control room mixer, and I switch to mono, and "disable" one speaker, I still get sound out of the tweeter of the other speaker. It's really weird. I can't figure out how to separate the L and R for each monitor. Anybody have any experience with Firestudios and getting a good monitor mix? Thanks dudes,

-Joel

In the control room window of Cubase, it has the ability to go from mono to stereo and back, and also has little buttons that represent each speaker (up to 7.1 surround). If I highlight a speaker, it solos the speaker (i.e. I get one speaker in mono as opposed to two speakers in mono). I want one speaker in mono to be able to check w/o actually turning off the monitor. My logic is also telling me if it's not disabling the right speaker, that my mixes have both sides in each monitor, as opposed to having L on L and R on R. It's like LR on L and LR on R....dig? Sorry, I suck at asking questions apparently...I don't know what my deal is. Thanks again,

-Joel

If I understand you correctly - and I'm not sure that I do to be honest - it sounds like you're misunderstanding/misusing ther term "mono".

"Mono" means all program material is funneled to a single sound channel. Seperate L and R channels are two halves of a stereo signal and not two "mono L" and "mono R" channels.

As far as your situation, a lot depends upon how you have your Control Room channels configured, but assuming a pretty standard configuration, when you click the mono button and select a loudspeaker, yes you should be getting both channels in that loudspeaker. If you instead just want to hear the the left channel out of the left spekaer, for example,, you should be able to solo select that speaker without hitting the mono button. This, I believe, should solo just the left channel.

G.

I misunderstood what the L and R buttons are for. Maybe you can help me with my wicked latency problems Glen. All of the sudden, just clicks and pops galore.

Back