just need some advice

malo

My equipment right now is an AMD 2600 with 1.2 gig memory I have the events 20/20, for a soundcard I Have the Omni Studio delta 66, and a Cad Mic M37 wich is descontinued , so now this is my question How can I get the best sound for the vocals , this is what I did a couple a months ago I bought a voice compressor Behringer voice digital , but that it seems to making It worse It sounds dirty like a month ago I sent the project to recording studio por mastering the engineer told me that the voice was out of phase so I went to guitar center a couple of days ago and this guy there told me that the best way to get the vocals clear is to record directly to the PC , the direct mic connection that I have on my Omni Studio is not working anymore so my plan now is , get the emu 1820 and get the Blue mic (wich I dont if I should keep the cad m37) I dont know if the mic would make any difference at all, all I want is get the best sound on the vocals at home and send the songs for mastering to real engineer..by the way what I do is hip hop and I do the recordings for myself so that's why Im trying to learn some tips around here, thank u all and some replys would be great ....

malo said:
How can I get the best sound for the vocals

That's the real mystery of recording ain't it? Honestly: record good vocalists.

malo said:
I bought a voice compressor Behringer voice digital , but that it seems to making It worse It sounds dirty like a month ago I sent the project to recording studio por mastering the engineer told me that the voice was out of phase

Not sure how the voice could end up 'out of phase' unless you used two microphones or it needed to be DC offset.

Personally I think that engineer has been smoking the crack. :)

malo said:
so I went to guitar center...

There's your mistake right there. Those guys don't know shit. If they knew anything about recording they wouldn't be working at GC for crap--they'd be making 40 bucks an hour recording bands like I do.

malo said:
...a couple of days ago and this guy there told me that the best way to get the vocals clear is to record directly to the PC , the direct mic connection that I have on my Omni Studio is not working anymore so my plan now is , get the emu 1820 and get the Blue mic (wich I dont if I should keep the cad m37)

How about getting a mixer?

Dude, the best way to get vocals clear is to use a decent mic through a decent preamp into a decent compressor to a decent analog machine. Now barring all that, the next decent way is to do the same thing to a decent hard disk recorder.

IMHO only fools throw out the mixer. At the very least record from a mic to a quality preamp into the soundcard.

But honestly, soundcards aren't professional IMHO.

malo said:
I dont know if the mic would make any difference at all, all I want is get the best sound on the vocals at home and send the songs for mastering to real engineer..by the way what I do is hip hop and I do the recordings for myself so that's why Im trying to learn some tips around here, thank u all and some replys would be great ....

Mics can make a big difference. Everything makes a difference. Producing vocals is hard. If anyone tells you that doing one thing will move you from blah to great they are *definately* trying to sell you something.

Don't listen to sales people. They are always selling you something.

As far as helping you out with your vocal recording abilities, you need to get that knowledge so you can know what gear you need for your budget and then experiment a lot.

That and SOAR. You definately need soar on your vocals. GC doesn't carry SOAR products, you'll have to hunt around for those.

Back