Just how musically adventurous are you or are you locked into the music of your younger years?

Oh I’ll be brutally honest with my boring, non-adventurous self on this one: I don’t listen to much new stuff. I’ll hear it on the radio when driving or someone posts a clip but there just isn’t that much that’s really new and unique (imho) out there, at least enough to capture and hold my attention. The last band that really did that was Rivals Sons with Electric Man. What got my attention immediately is the shitty sounding over-fuzzed guitar on a neck pickup setting with a mic severely overdriven and yoddling. So I listened more and loved it more and more. That’s the band for sure but also and importantly the production. It didn’t sound clean and perfectly produced on a screen (which I’m sure it ultimately was) but the imperfections caught and kept me until the groove kicked in. I do not care to hear Gimme 3 Steps or Stairway to Heaven over and over and over again but at least there are imperfections in the playing and production, even after being digitized, that adds a bit of human element to my ears. Forget the solo but I think it’s on VH I where smooth Eddie did a solo run and hit a dead spot on the fretboard. I love that. Nothing against digital production tech or creating perfect tracks, but does everything have to be just so in writing/recording/mastering? To me it’s just boring.

at least there are imperfections in the playing and production.....Nothing against digital production tech or creating perfect tracks, but does everything have to be just so in writing/recording/mastering? To me it’s just boring
You'd love my stuff then ! It's the living definition of meanderingly imperfect !!! 🥶 I'd say it was "so" rather than "just."

Back