Just how musically adventurous are you or are you locked into the music of your younger years?

Since you seem to need some remedial help, the main question of my post is how musically adventurous are you?

Observationally it seems to me that most people are locked into the music styles they listened to during there early formative years. Part of my question came from the thread "Music I like, What do you like?" A lot of the discussion focused on music of people's past. Not a lot of stretch. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm the opposite. I have a huge music collection and am a deep diver in Spotify. There is just an endless array of cool music out there. I'll explain further in another post.

So Dogooder, how about you? Narrow musical taste or adventurous? 70's, 80's 90's 2000's, world, jazz, classical? Let us know your opinion.
Are you trying to tell me the laws of physics were different three hundred years ago and frequencies have changed since then?

Are you trying to tell me the laws of physics were different three hundred years ago and frequencies have changed since then?
I'm just going to presume you are not this dense and are intentionally just giving me crap. You might be the first and only member here I block.

Do you think you could do my buddy Bob's old job?
I don't think I could unless I was unemployed and needed a job quickly because the mortgage payments were due and I had to eat. I can't even listen to music on the radio or TV. I'm that guy that long ago did away with the DJ and decided that I was only going to listen to music I wanted to, when I wanted to. Of course, it hasn't always been a perfect storm, sometimes it's unavoidable, but it hasn't been for want of trying !

Just how musically adventurous are you or are you locked into the music of your younger years ?
I remember saying to people at HR back in 2010 or 11 that I wasn't looking for new music anymore. I had {have} a vast collection and had been through several listening and acquiring phases from '73 until 2009. And I loved them all. It was so exciting, discovering either new genres, new artists or new albums or new songs. So often, in fact virtually every time, I was going against the grain of those that I was hanging with. Back in '79 when I discovered Pink Floyd's first two albums, I was in a city where everyone was going disco ga-ga. It was huge. And there was I, Mr Unfashionable, who didn't party or have muscles, getting into these weird albums from the 60s. My cousin said to me "Typical you, always has to be different." But he was wrong. I genuinely loved the Floyd's music. They changed my musical headspace and opened the door to so many other arenas, not least jazz. As a kid, I loved the pop of the 60s and 70s. Through my sisters, I acquired a secret appreciation of the likes of David Cassidy, David Essex, Carly Simon, the Osmonds and the Bay City Rollers. I discovered the Jackson 5 and the Beatles all on my own. I heard the Stones through my cousin Eric. My Dad unwittingly turned me onto classical and the easy-listening path I learned from my Mum with her Jim Reeves, Man of LaMancha soundtrack and Seekers. All the other paths came my way through school, friends, curiosity or accident. But I had the greatest time. And I stayed even when they'd long departed and moved on to something else.
So to answer the question, after that ramble, I think that I'm both. I am unashamedly locked into the music of my younger years and I don't actively pursue new stuff. But every so often, I'll hear a song that I like and I'll buy it. It might be one from 1970 or 2021. It'll be new to me. It might come from a TV show or be something one of my kids is listening to. My personal tastes are very adventurous ~ you have to be to get into Indian music when everyone around you is listening to reggae ! And I think this reflects itself in the actual music I make. It's a real mish-mash that happily goes beyond my personal limitations as a player.
I consider myself open minded
I consider myself closed-minded in an open-minded sort of way. Or open-minded until my mind closes. Once I like something, I'm not going to stop liking it, except in very rare instances.

Same as I am with food, roughly - I'll try anything and be open minded about it
I'm at my most closed-minded when it comes to food. I like what I like and if I don't like the look or smell of something, on pain of death will it cross my lips, let alone enter my goblet. 👄
I can be open-minded though, at surprising times. This morning, I made myself scrambled eggs and added mushrooms, pineapple 🍍, peppers 🫑, cheese 🧀 and onions 🧅. No surprise there. But I saw some strawberries 🍓 in the fridge and added some. I had never eaten a strawberry in my life up until this morning. So that was damned near revolutionary for me.
Tasted great in the eggs, by the way.
But I do recognize my inner biases
Not only do I recognize mine, I revel in them.
I seem to be predisposed to material that is closer to what I grew up with
That's natural. I've long held the theory that human beings will be disposed to music they've heard from really young. Peer pressure can also "dispose" one to a particular genre.
it is just all music. Trying to pigeon hole it into different genres I have always found to be for communication purposes only
I have to disagree wholeheartedly with that. Yes, it is "all just music" in the same way "disease" is all just "disease" and a bike and an aeroplane are just "vehicles." But you try getting from England to South Africa on a bike or heading downtown to buy some bread on a plane. Or treating influenza the same way you would neck cancer or a broken leg.
For me, not pigeonholing music into specific categories is sheer ignorance and just trying to be clever where cleverness isn't required. That isn't to say that there aren't overlapping and very grey areas. Fusions exemplify this. But can you imagine walking into a record shop {oh, those days !} and asking the person behind the counter for some music ? You might want some Diana Ross or Gladys Knight for your convalescing Mum and the shop person gives you Metallica or Stryper.
Mama gonna love you !
mainly J.S.Bach
I have a friend who once, to make a point to an audience about the believability of an eye-witness, ate the contents of a can of dog food.:wtf:
It was sickening to behold. :sick:🤮
Some time later we were talking about the misapplication of the term 'classical music' and he said his favourite composer was Bach.
He was at a loss as to why I laughed and laughed ! 😆

I dig musical theatre. Love playing in pit orchestras when I can.
One of my side gigs is working with a DJ that gets hired out of an agency that works with themed events. Catering, decor, costumes the whole bit. This weekend was a 1920's swing theme event for an inaugural ball for a newly elected mayor. I help with lighting design and put together themed play lists for cocktail and diner service. This DJ is really good with crowds but is like some here, locked into what he knows. Some gigs are themed mystery theater in the same 1920's vibe. If you play music that is from this period, you'll likely drive the crowd from the venue. It's not relatable to most people. Still, some great stuff out there that fits the vibe but with modern sensibilities.

Stuff like this and add familiar stuff like Amy Winehouse every so often.

I think you might have misunderstood the OP. He was talking about musical tastes, not musical physics.
I know exactly what he said, meant, and I am basically saying to me it is all the same. I once auditioned for a "Ska" band. I wondered out loud whats the big deal, these are just polkas, boy did they get mad. To me it is all the same, just music. I will now bow out of this conversation and leave you guys to hash it out. I apologize for raining on the parade, good luck to all.

I will throw in. I am stuck, not of my youth, but of a certain style. For me at least, I have tried to expand my circle, but it is limited. I do like very deliberate music. I am not a blues guy, I don't care for jams, I like music that has thought, arrangement, good production, etc.

Now combine the two, like classical music. The folks who play that, I really appreciate their skill. I do find that in a lot of ways it lacks real emotion. But well recorded and arranged music I have a strong attraction and well written/recorded pop music. In the pop category, it is a strange love affair. While I am not a Taylor fan, I still like pop standards like Jim Croce, Super Tramp, Daniel Boone, Spin Doctors, AIC. You get the picture.

Still looking and try to stay open minded, but I am like Grim, I am still closed minded to a large extent.

To me..music and teenage love are the same thing. When older it changes and that perfect love is changed . Allowed itself to take hits. Possibly even a little damaged. For better or worse. You take that knowledge and experience and make a better world...even if a little bit numb.

to have the kind of relationship I had with music...I hope you had a lot of girlfriends.

I am basically saying to me it is all the same
Like all trees are just trees, right ?
I once auditioned for a "Ska" band. I wondered out loud whats the big deal, these are just polkas, boy did they get mad
Well, there are sometimes overlaps, similarities and common elements within and between certain forms of music.
To me it is all the same, just music
That could be an indication that you're not really a good listener.

I try to get way outside my comfort zone.

I'm still recording seventies-era proggy music but am drumming in a synthpop/EDM outfit. The "rules" are diametrically opposed to those of rock drumming.

The evolution from late 60s pop into more mature rock and fusion genres was fascinating. Shortly after the Beatles and Beach Boys we had Allman Brothers,Steely Dan, Edgar Winter, Mott the Hoople, Bowie, Zeppelin, Genesis, EW&F to name a few; plus singer-songwriters like James Taylor, Cat Stevens, etc. I'm biased only because I grew up with this music, but I enjoy new music discovery as much as listening to old favorites.

The evolution from late 60s pop into more mature rock and fusion genres was fascinating. Shortly after the Beatles and Beach Boys we had Allman Brothers,Steely Dan, Edgar Winter, Mott the Hoople, Bowie, Zeppelin, Genesis, EW&F to name a few; plus singer-songwriters like James Taylor, Cat Stevens, etc. I'm biased only because I grew up with this music, but I enjoy new music discovery as much as listening to old favorites.
I see you only have 2 posts here. Welcome! :)

I have been feeling Alienated
on my spaceship alone
Say goodbye to the past leave it all with a laugh
cause you was always right and all alone..

I kind of don't have a (self) opinion on this topic. Sometimes I don't want to hear things I've heard before, especially worn out over and over, a shame because it was once a good song and I enjoyed it. Other times It gets on my wick when someone attempts to turn me on to some new music I've never heard. I prefer to discover new music in my own, but I reckon you have to hear it somewhere first. Anyway, no, probably couldnt do that job. It would depend on how much it paid. Whoever said a paying job has to be enjoyable.

^^ all that to say nothing.

This thread does bring to mind, radio back probably ending in the 70s used to be much more "musically adventurous" than it has become, format radio. From Fire & Rain, to R&R Hoochie Coo, Tubular Bells, Gordon Lightfoot, BTO, Engelbert Humperdinck, to that Winter boy with the with the white hair. That was pretty cool.

Oh, and BJ Thomas. I think it might rain.

& Tom Jones. And Delta Dawn by that little sassy gal.

Oh yeah, not sure y'all heard. Probably should post it in a different thread.

Did y'all hear the news? Tony Orlando died last night. Yep, found him this morning....

at the crack of dawn.

Last edited:
& Tom Jones. And Delta Dawn by that little sassy gal.

Oh yeah, not sure y'all heard. Probably should post it in a different thread.

Did y'all hear the news? Tony Orlando died last night. Yep, found him this morning....

at the crack of dawn.
You typed that one one a stone tablet, :)

Back