Just how musically adventurous are you or are you locked into the music of your younger years?

Folkcafe

I consider myself fortunate that I grew up in a house with a large variety of music. My dad listened to old school country, bluegrass and Acadian music. My older sisters went through everything from the Beatles, Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Carly Simon, just about everything popular from the 50's through 70's. They would move on from one and I'd get all the hand me downs.

As a result, I listen to a vast array of different styles and genres. I have a friend that is the same age, and he is really locked into such a small musical world from our teenage years.

When I worked at Bose, one of my coworker's job was to audition music for licensure. Yep, his job was to listen to music all day long. Record labels would send releases and he would go through them and catalog the quality of production, sonic clarity and fidelity. He said there were many days where it was surprisingly difficult. There is plenty of music out there and a lot of it might not be in your taste of music. When he retired, I got a copy of his master spreadsheet from more than 30 years of doing this work. I ran across it recently and it got me thinking about this.

So how adventurous are you guys musically? Do you think you could do my buddy Bob's old job? Listening to everything from classical to music from all over the globe or are you one of those that are locked into a narrow world of music?

I consider myself open minded. Same as I am with food, roughly - I'll try anything and be open minded about it. But I do recognize my inner biases. I seem to be predisposed to material that is closer to what I grew up with. Which is one reason that I dig it when I come across something really unusual and fresh that's off the beaten path for my tastes - but that I like. Finding those diamonds in the rough is fun.

Having said all that - I don't think I would want you friends job. I'm not cutout for that - I don't think. I'm not sure I understand exactly what it entails.

I'm confused, could you repeat the question. What was the music of my younger days? As far as I know, a C note was the same then as it was 300 years prior and is today? 4/4 and 3/4 were the same then as now.

I'm confused, could you repeat the question. What was the music of my younger days? As far as I know, a C note was the same then as it was 300 years prior and is today? 4/4 and 3/4 were the same then as now.
Just once in a while... it would be refreshing to see you contribute something useful, interesting, or pertinent.

I said yes to a "You'll know them ...." gig. a 40 song set list appears, but apart from soul, pop from 60's onwards, there are snow patrol songs, and lots by artists I have never heard of to learn. So while I remember how to play the Beatles - Passenger, Sofi Tukker, Ernie K doe and even Ellie Goulding are mysteries to me.

The key being "as far as I know". I worked in the world of classical recording. There are a variety of historical piano tunings that are outside of A-440.

I tried finding as simple of an explanation page as I could. Hope you are able to follow along.

An Introduction to Historical Tunings

So how adventurous are you guys musically? Do you think you could do my buddy Bob's old job? Listening to everything from classical to music from all over the globe or are you one of those that are locked into a narrow world of music?
I'm actually a semi-professional classical musician and would consider myself to be very open-minded musically. Somehow though, it was the other way around for me. ONLY classical music until I was about 11, both for listening and playing purposes. At that point I started teaching myself jazz. I was hooked on Celtic after that (age 16) and jazz fusion, jazz rock, some 80s pop-rock, and vintage hip-hop soon after that. I currently perform mainly Classical, Celtic and Jazz.
All in all, I think I could do that job... 30 years ago. I can't stand any mainstream post-2000 releases, let alone spend entire days paying attention to its sonic quality.

I gigged a lot al through the 80's and 90's. So, a lot of the bands I can't stand might actually be bands I'd like if I didn't have to play their music repeatedly for years.

I played in an "almost" Springsteen tribute band (We played other music, but since we had a sax and our singer's range was very limited, we played way too much Springsteen) for most of the beginning of the 80's. The result is that I can't stand to listen to one bar of that man's music.

I'm probably a little too stuck in the 60's and 70's. To me, the greatest decade of music is 1965-1975. The "newest" band I like is the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and they're not new at all. And even them, it's really just the BSSM album. They're very hit and miss.

I try to get into newer bands, but I just can't find anything that moves me. Even when they're "good", there's just no danger in the music. It's safe, well produced, almost flawless...basically sterile shit.

But as far as different styles of music, I can really dig different styles. I love jazz, whether it's big band or Miles Davis, I love classical, I actually dig a lot of older hip-hop, I love "New Age" meditation music, etc...

But as far as pop/rock music, I'll stick to the 60's and 70's until something comes along to blow me away.

What a cool job your buddy had. I think his job would be substantially harder today now that anyone can release music pretty easily. It’s a good thing, but it’s harder to sort through and find gems just because of the sheer volume of stuff. There’s more content out there than we could ever consume, so how do you even decide what to explore?

What a cool job your buddy had. I think his job would be substantially harder today now that anyone can release music pretty easily. It’s a good thing, but it’s harder to sort through and find gems just because of the sheer volume of stuff. There’s more content out there than we could ever consume, so how do you even decide what to explore?
Hey Leddy, you know what I just realized? I think I did a drum for you at least 10 years ago. Well, when I say "for you", I don't mean I did you some great service. I mean, you had music and I played drums in it. :D I don't know why it didn't hit me until now.

One thing I do remember is that I was just starting to record drums at that time, and my drum tracks were probably barely useable. But you managed to replace them with samples (I think), and they sounded better than I thought ever possible.

Do you remember that? Do I even have the right guy? Lol. :D

(I had a different username back then. It was either "Skinny Mulligan" or "RAMI", depending how long ago it was. Might have been more 10 years ago)

RAMI is the name I remember here.

So to Folkcafe - I believe I am open to hear most a little but I have a low tolerance for shit and that term only means genres I just can't take: Rap, Death/thrash metal, Twangy heavy accent woman gone dog died country and more "foreign" stuff like Indian or any atonal stuff. I'll give 'em all a verse or two and a chorus and I'll overlook genre letdowns for quality vocals and musicianship but for genres I don't care for it has to be flawless.

As far as that job goes I don't think I have the music knowledge or educational background to be a fair judge. I think I know what sounds "good" but is my definition good enough? That I don't know.

Oh and just to add - In my house when young my parents listened to Big Band and 40s crooners. I still like a lot of that. The oldest child of the next generation (me) brought in the Monkees first and mostly Top 40 singles on 45 to follow. 1968 and up.

Hey Leddy, you know what I just realized? I think I did a drum for you at least 10 years ago. Well, when I say "for you", I don't mean I did you some great service. I mean, you had music and I played drums in it. :D I don't know why it didn't hit me until now.

One thing I do remember is that I was just starting to record drums at that time, and my drum tracks were probably barely useable. But you managed to replace them with samples (I think), and they sounded better than I thought ever possible.

Do you remember that? Do I even have the right guy? Lol. :D

(I had a different username back then. It was either "Skinny Mulligan" or "RAMI", depending how long ago it was. Might have been more 10 years ago)
Nah man that couldn’t have been me.

The key being "as far as I know". I worked in the world of classical recording. There are a variety of historical piano tunings that are outside of A-440.

I tried finding as simple of an explanation page as I could. Hope you are able to follow along.

An Introduction to Historical Tunings
Maybe I should have phrased it this way, no matter the tuning, 440 was 440, 300 years ago, same as now. My point besides the one on the op of my head is, to me, it is just all music. Trying to pigeon hole it into different genres I have always found to be for communication purposes only

Maybe I should have phrased it this way, no matter the tuning, 440 was 440, 300 years ago, same as now. My point besides the one on the op of my head is, to me, it is just all music. Trying to pigeon hole it into different genres I have always found to be for communication purposes only
Since you seem to need some remedial help, the main question of my post is how musically adventurous are you?

Observationally it seems to me that most people are locked into the music styles they listened to during there early formative years. Part of my question came from the thread "Music I like, What do you like?" A lot of the discussion focused on music of people's past. Not a lot of stretch. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm the opposite. I have a huge music collection and am a deep diver in Spotify. There is just an endless array of cool music out there. I'll explain further in another post.

So Dogooder, how about you? Narrow musical taste or adventurous? 70's, 80's 90's 2000's, world, jazz, classical? Let us know your opinion.

I'm probably more closed than open.
Put a guitar in my hands, and I'll go through my 60's/70's repatoire.
Classical-wise, it is mainly J.S.Bach.
Not really into symphonies, or opera.
I'm always open to being blown away by something new to me.

Back