Just got Rode NTK. Now what Mic Pre??

I'll translate the summary of the review for you guys.

Goes like this:

"Magic box is the word. Under 7000sek (1 dollar = 8.16sek) has to be regarded as a steal for the Summit Audio 2BA-221. Fact is, I've seldom over never heard any preamp as good below 15.000 sek. This is definately one of the most complex and yet simple units I worked with for as long as I can remember. Very good for the customers and very bad for the competition that Summit Audio keeps on their crusade, where they offer true high-end audio for a middleclass price. I dare to say that the Summit 2BA-221 hold it's own in any environment, both amature as well as professionals, in any studio. Big words, but this is how good the Summit Audio 2BA-221 is I dare to say that anyone who thinks otherwise is probably deaf or crazy. Probably both."

My apologies for any strange sentences as of the translation. But you get the point. Im from sweden.

The Summit 2BA-221 has variable impendance, sweepable highpass filter up to 200Hz, line in, both tube and transistor preamps, that works simultaneously with separate tube and transistor outputs and knobs for output levels.

This made it (according to the reviewer) a unit that can easily dial up just about any sound wanted, fast, and with excellent results. This is appereantly NOT a toob unit.

/Stefan

about mic pre's

i'm new here - i joined just now because this bbs is interesting.
but i have to say having recorded for 25 years the high end
mic pre's are good. but imho not the total answer.
in my recording time on the planet ive used everything from
big consoles down to diy mic pre's and i would argue a good engineer should learn electronics and circuit building to
increase knowledge. quite frankly you can build a very good quality mic diy pre these days for peanuts using low noise transistors. i dont want to get thumped/flamed but one of my songs on this site www.soundclick.com/bmanning is in the top 20
of the blues section and used DIY mic pre's.
I would argue that the engineering of the song is more important.
as well as how the song stands up. heres a test. have a listen to a few songs and tell me all you gurus which ones used excellent vs cheap diy mic pre's. just a bit of fun. lets see how good you are.

I've got one

I bought one recently. I haven't had a chance to do much recording with it yet, but my first impressions are very positive. One of the cool things about it is that there are multiple outs that you can use at the same time. For example, you can record simultaneously a track from the clean solid state stage and one from the tube stage for A/B'ing. The tube stage can be driven hard, or not, but it never sounds dirty. It's got a high-impedance DI input as well as a variable-impedance mic input. A very flexible little box!

Don

Back