Just got my Studio Projects B1

chessparov

To my ear, it's VERY different sounding than the C1.
If someone told me that AKG had revised the current 414 to make it less bright,
they could have fooled me with this microphone by saying they placed it in it's
cardiod pattern. It's clearly superior to the AKG C3000B on my voice also.

Anyone who has a "C" series can rest assured that this microphone will sound different
enough so they'll be no approximate duplication in sonic character.
Have been running it through the Studio Projects VTB-1 BTW.
I'll post more after I spend more time with it to understand its subtleties better.
Can already tell it's a winner...

Chris

I think that 414 comment might be right. I really like my B-1's for overheads so far. They allowed me to unmic the toms completely. So now I am only using 5 mics on a 6 piece kit.

2 B-1s as overheads
441 on bottom of snare
Peavey 520i on kick
U87 out front

B-1's rock man. I got a C-1 for Xmas I haven't even tried yet :(
Beezoboy

Your Peavey is a good vocal microphone too, with a tone midway between
a condenser and (non-neodynium) dynamic microphones.
Excellent transient response for a dynamic.

That's a great quiver having the U87 and 441 too.
Let us know how you think the C1 compares in tone when you get a chance.

Chris

I have a couple of B3's, and can only assume that in cardioid, it's the same mic as the B1?

Anyway, I like the B3's better than the C1 for instrument micing, but for my vocals still like the C1 over the B3/B1 -- but I like bright sounding vocals.

I'll be using the B1 to help chart my progress with some voice
training. It sounds clean and quite accurate to me, worthy of
the "all rounder" moniker IMHO.

Ozraves, how do the B3 and B1 sound different to you?

Chris

chessparov said:
I'll be using the B1 to help chart my progress with some voice
training. It sounds clean and quite accurate to me, worthy of
the "all rounder" moniker IMHO.

Ozraves, how do the B3 and B1 sound different to you?

Chris

I think Dot aka Dan Richards says the B1 is neutral while the B3 is kind of between the B1 and C1 in flavor. I'd kind of agree with his description.

Steve
www.piemusic.com

It's certainly the most "neutral" of any microphone I've ever used.
And that can be a very good thing!

The B1 will be the go-to microphone for practicing my acapella
vocals, to chart progress. Sorta like a vocal "mirror".

Chris

In a nutshell, the B1 sounds very clean and "natural".
Works particularly well with the VTB-1 "tube blend" feature to have a
more aggressive rock sound, or with a Meek compressor for a thicker
tone. The B1 on its own, however, doesn't seem thin, just balanced.

Chris

Damn you guys. You're making me want/need to order a pair of B-1's!

question- anyone tried them close micing toms? :D
nice for guitar amps?

hmm.. maybe i should get 3.. lol

Would the B1's work well as a stereo pair for instruments, and for other stuff like Mic over heads?

And i guess you could also just use a single one for vocals. Sounds like a sweet versatile mic for 80 bucks!

Just wanted to chime in that I'm also extremely pleased with my recent purchase of a pair of B1's. I echo everything that has been said: natural sounding, not "hyped," rich, full, very even and "balanced" sounding. I'm also impressed with the build quality; in real life they look and feel FAR sturdier than the photos would lead you to believe.

I definitely think this mic is a better all-around mic than any of the cheap MXL mics (with the exception of the V67, which I love) - the MXL1006 and v63 (same mic, I believe) both sound very tinny and spitty compared to the B1.

Great little mics, a real treat to work with. Crazy low price tag makes them tough to pass up!

Dick so you'd use one for vocals, or a pair for instruments like an accoustic guitar, or drum overheads, or anything? And would the mxl 603s be in the range of the cheap mxl's you were talking about? Would the b1's still be a better choice?

I'm planning on buying a stereo pair of SD microphones for instruments, and an LD condensor for vocals. But if i got a pair of B1's i could use them for both couldn't I?

The fact that they are LD wouldn't have any bearing on recording instruments, and wouldn't have any pitfalls as opposed to a SD condensor?

I mean is there really a difference between using an SD or LD? Is one better for certain things?

I have a pair of Studio Projects B1 mics, and they work very well for drum overheads and acoustic guitar, as well as vocals. I haven't tried the MXL 603s, which I hear are very good. I was looking for the most versatile mic, and the B1 is quite versatile. It is a large diaphragm, but I think the 3 micron diaphragm may give it slightly better transient response than the typical 6 micron large diaphragm. I don't know that for sure (maybe someone who knows can enlighten me), but the transient response seems fine to me.
By the way, if you buy a pair, make sure you get boxes with the same color dot on the outside. They will be a better match for each other, because the color of the dot refers to the sensitivity of the mic.

A super flexible option would be to get a pair of B3's,
as they're multi-pattern. Having the option to go omni in mono, or
paired omni's is great, especially if you can get a good sounding room.

Chris

Have any of you guys done a comparison between the MXL V67G and the SP B1. I want a cheap LD condenser for vocals, and have narrowed it down to these two. My voice is a high baritone. I'm hoping you can give me some guidence as to which one would be the best choice for my kind of voice. Thanks.

The truth is, choosing microphones is highly personal.
The ideal way, as you probably know, is to try both out.
Having said that, and as a fellow high baritone...

What kind of material are you singing?
What kind of mic pre are you using?
Do you have any dynamic microphones, like a SM57, to also use for vocals?

If you're planning to work at your voice to improve it,
the B1 would be a fine choice as the Marshall isn't considered
to have a relatively neutral sound.
And while Marshall's customer service is good, Studio Projects is
phenomenal. (Imagine e-mailing the head of Neumann with a question!)

Chris

Thanks for the reply Chesparov.
I sing mostly blues and jazz. My preamp is a plain old audio buddy, although I plan to upgrade this in the future to the SP VTB 1. My dynamic mic is a Audio Technia M63 (both my '57's were stolen).
I am leaning towards the B1 just because Studio Projects have such a great reputation. However, I would like to know how the V67G colors what it records.
As for my voice........I'm always working to improve it.
Thanks again.

I do happen to have both the V76G and the B1 - I prefer the V67 for vocals, no question. the V67 seems to be more geared towards vocals, there's a nice airy high end... I really like it.

On the other hand, the B1's - since they sound so "neutral," I don't really think they're quite as pretty on vocals. But, it's a two way street - I don't like the V67 on instruments! So, my preference has definitely been B1s as instrument, overhead, stereo recording mics, and the V67 for vocals.

I also have a pair of 603's - they're great. Whether or not I choose 603s or B1's for overhead or instument mics just depends on what flavor I'm looking for - whether I'm looking for SD or LD. Every setup is different, it just, you know, "depends."

Still - I use the V67 and the 603s because I already HAVE them. I'm sure that if I only had a B1, I could get fantastic vocals out of it. If you're looking for your first all-around LD condensor mic, by all means, the B1 is a great choice. B1 vs V67 vs 603s is kind of a pointless argument, I think they're all winners. A pair of B1s is certainly a fine start.

BTW, the colored dot on the box of SP mics will match mics pretty closely. It has to do with what the tolerance is on the frequency response curve. If a given mic is slightly higher, it gets one color. If it's slightly lower, it gets a different one. And if it's pretty much on the line, it gets the third color.

Just wanted to clarify that it doesn't really refer to the sensitivity of the mic.

-mg

Back