Just got my mackie vlz pro 1402...need help now with cables...

CharleyBrown

curious as to the best cables to get for connecting my delta 66 to my mackie...will need 3-6 feet of cable. Price range...would like to keep it under $100 per cable. How many cables will I need? I assume 4...two for input, two for output? Thanks for the help...

$100 per cable :confused: Give me a call, I have some special time aligned cables and for an extra $50 each I'll paint 'em blue.

You shouldn't have to spend more than $25-40 each for good 1/4" unbalanced patch cables. I think the main outs on the Mackie are balanced but I'm not sure about the Delta's inputs. If you are going from the inserts on the Mackie than use unbalanced mono 1/4".

TexRoadkill said:
$100 per cable :confused: Give me a call, I have some special time aligned cables and for an extra $50 each I'll paint 'em blue.

You shouldn't have to spend more than $25-40 each for good 1/4" unbalanced patch cables. I think the main outs on the Mackie are balanced but I'm not sure about the Delta's inputs. If you are going from the inserts on the Mackie than use unbalanced mono 1/4".

lol...I was thinking of looking into monster cables...any knowledge on them? I'm assuming I have to run two 1/4" cables from my outputs on the delta to the mackie ins, and then two more from the mackie outs into the delta ins?

okay, I got this figured out somewhat now...

From one of my Delta outs...I am running a 1/4" plug to RCA cable into my tape ins...my RCA cables to my speakers will come out the tape outs...

then I get this cable I believe: http://www.monstercable.com/pro_audio/productPagePro.asp?pin=1&mixtype=

Monster Cable Studio Pro 1000 Instrument Cable Straight 1/4" plugs...probably 3-6 feet...gotta measure the distance.

and I will plug that into Delta In, and into the Aux Send of my Mackie...

will this work perfect? Is that Monster Cable gonna be right? because it appears that is is balaned, and the Delta ins/outs are unbalanced...right?

Ok, here's how I'd do it. If I was recording one to two tracks at a time, I'd use two unbalanced 1/4" cables patched from two mic channels insert points to two inputs on the sound card. Doing this is the shortest, cleanest path to tape, er, disc. Patching from the insert grabs signal directly after the mic preamp and before the EQ/fader section of the channel strip so you're not sending the signal through all the un-nessassary electronics of the mixer. You can then monotor in one of two ways. 1st is run the line outputs of the card to either two mono channels on the mixer or to one of the stereo input channels. This would be very flexable set up.
Now if wou want to record something like a live drummer with multiple mics, you're still restricted to two tracks at a time but you could patch from the main left/right outputs from the mixer, make a stereo mix of the drums from all the mics and send it as a stereo pair to the line input of the card. If you do this, you can't return the output of the card to the mixer as this would set up a feedback loop. You'd have to send the card output directly to the monitor amp/headphone amp/speaker set up.

oh yeah, my set up will primarily be used for hip hop/rnb...as of right now, running monitors/condensor mic/djmixer (turntables) through the mixer, as well as the delta...

thanx for the response ^^ Ima read it a lil more and see if I got u 100%

Track Rat said:
Ok, here's how I'd do it. If I was recording one to two tracks at a time, I'd use two unbalanced 1/4" cables patched from two mic channels insert points to two inputs on the sound card. Doing this is the shortest, cleanest path to tape, er, disc. Patching from the insert grabs signal directly after the mic preamp and before the EQ/fader section of the channel strip so you're not sending the signal through all the un-nessassary electronics of the mixer. You can then monotor in one of two ways. 1st is run the line outputs of the card to either two mono channels on the mixer or to one of the stereo input channels. This would be very flexable set up.
Now if wou want to record something like a live drummer with multiple mics, you're still restricted to two tracks at a time but you could patch from the main left/right outputs from the mixer, make a stereo mix of the drums from all the mics and send it as a stereo pair to the line input of the card. If you do this, you can't return the output of the card to the mixer as this would set up a feedback loop. You'd have to send the card output directly to the monitor amp/headphone amp/speaker set up.

aight, so what Im looking for then is two 1/4" unbalanced cables to run from say inserts of channels 3 + 4 (I'd have my condensor plugged into the XLR of channel one) and they'd go into the two inputs of my card...and then Ima need two balanced or unbalanced? cables running from my Delta outs and into say, Channels 7-8 (stereo pair)...

then to plug my speakers in (right now they run through RCA)...I can plug them into the tape-out...

as for my headphones...they obviously go through the phones line...

is this correct?

So basically Ima need 4 1/4" instrument/mic cables? Does anything run out of the main out? and any recommendations on cables to buy? Thanks.

You could drive the monitors like you are or from the mains outputs. Sounds like you got your arms around it. You don't have to get high zoot $100 cables but don't get cheeze dick ones either. I don't like Hosa. Monster is good, a bit over priced but good. I build my own out of Beldon wire and Switchcraft connectors.

Back