just got mt sony mdr-7506 headphones

Melsi

Padawan
I am not impressed! just opened them off and played some stuff from itunes, and they sound terrible, the hi's are so hyped up its unbelieveable, i prefer my cheap behringer headphones, the only good thing about these headphones is there isolation. The actual music on songs sounds average on them but when any vocals come through them it sounds disgusting! Im selling these straight away and getting some Beyerdynamics 770 pros!

i have to set my eq to this just to listen to them!

eq.JPG

Uhh, didn't you ask specifically about the Sony 7506's in another thread? And didn't most of the responses mention the hyped, harsh high end on the 7506's?

And now, you post: "just opened them off and played some stuff from itunes, and they sound terrible, the highs are so hyped up, its unbelievable"?

You're surprised that they sound exactly how many people here told you they would sound?

All kidding aside, i've been using some Sony MDR CD180 earphones for about a year now and they sound great, of course in combination with mixing on monitors. They've never failed me yet.

Uhh, didn't you ask specifically about the Sony 7506's in another thread? And didn't most of the responses mention the hyped, harsh high end on the 7506's?

well Harvey, actually yes i did ask about them, but i didnt think the high end would be this harsh, and i heard from alot of people that they love these headphones, i cant honestly understand why!

Well, for one thing

for future reference, now you know who's ears you tend to agree with and who's you don't.

Some things, like headohones, aren't a matter of right and wrong, they're a matter of preference, so it's nice to find out who's preferences tend to be similar to yours. I don't know if you can try them anywhere first, but I also have some AT-M40fs that are my second choice after the 770s (and much cheaper) with somewhat better isolation.

Good luck.

i thought the hyped high end and lows, would sound nice in the headphones, but it just doesnt its awful! id be embarassed to give this to a client, someone please tell me that the beyerdynamics dont sound anything like these sonys!

and xstatic i dont know how these headphones can work well in some circumstances because people will hear themselves wrong when they record and will ultimately affect there performance! well this would happen in my case!

Imo

The Beyers don't sound anything like the Sonys. BUT, we're back to what you're using them for. For tracking, all you really need is to be able to hear yourself and control bleed. You can't use them to judge how you're going to sound in a final mix while you're tracking. And you can't really mix with headphones, even the Beyers.

Actually Melsi I think you are blowing the whole thing extremely out of proportion. Sony 7506's are most likely BY FAR the most common headphones found in use iun studios or in live settings. No one really seems to say that they are the best, but probably more than 99% of the people using them think they sound just fine, and often times even pleasing.

As for some of the positive aspects... They are reasonably durable and comfortable, they get LOUD, and they isolate decently. I would give serious consideration to what your headphone amp is doing if they absolutely sound that bad to you. Like I said, I personally think that how you are describing the situation is EXTREMELY exaggerated... or else you have some other hardware issue that is the cause....

Rather than listening to MP3 files or some other compressed data, listen to a CD that you're really familiar with; I think the CD will give you a much more accurate idea of what your new Sony cans sound like. FWIW.

But part of the issue here

is if you're using them just to listen to music on, that's a whole different application than tracking, which is what most people use the 7506s for.

And xstatic, part of why I don't like them is I think they're uncomfortably tight. I've got a pretty big head (gotta house this huge brain in something!), and the 770's are much more comfortable on my melon.

notCardio, that would be a valid reason to not like them. In all of my years doing this though, I have not had anyone not be able to wear them. IN fact, the biggest problem I have is if someone too small comes in. I understand that we all have preferences and likes and dislikes. Thats all good.

My only complaint here is that Melsi seems to be really going off about it. I am speaking up so that readers of this thread will understand that Melsi's opinion here is VERY much in the minority as far as the Sony's being "that bad". However, everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion. I have had many different sets of headphones over the years. I know that for me I would not have to any sort of drastic EQ'ing like that to make them livable. In fact, flat they are very livable to me. Certainly not perfect, but they take all of 2 seconds to adjust to.

Melsi, you just got owned by Harvey. :D

What headphone amp are you using? Speakers (headphones) and amps react with each other and the result can be good or bad. I'd suggest taking your new cans to a local shop that has some headphone amps you can try.

Ok let me make this clear for you guys,

the high end of these headphones ruins everything, im using them for tracking aswel as critical listening (not mixing).

Now i dont know about you but i cannot sing proper vocals hearing my voice sound like it does through these headphones. simply because the high-end is so disturbing and puts me off!

And as for comfort, when you are wearing them without any music playing or sound coming through them, they hurt my hears and build up alot of pressure against my eardrums.

and if there was a problem with my headphone amp which there isnt it would make the other sets of headphones i have plugged into it sound wierd.

just playing music through these headphones is just about ok, but any vocal that passes through them sounds like the treble has been turned up max!

maybe there is a fault with my headphones but im pretty sure this is just how they are as even harvey said earlier about the extremely hyped highs amongst lots of other people that have said this.

notCardio how much do you favour your 770's over these sonys?

(o yeah and once again, no im not mixing through these headphones but i need a good pair of reference headphones for critical listening which are very neutral regarding highs mids n lows)

One good thing about these headphoes Xstatic, yes the isolation is very good i wont deny that!

I have the Sony 7506's but also don't like them very much. Not a very realistic playback in my opinion. I also have the AT-M40fs and far prefer them over the 7506. They sound much truer to the source and more like what I'm hearing from my monitors, to me anyway.

Im using a ART HeadAMP 4 output headphone amp and i have Yamaha MSP3 active monitors.

Thank you SonicAlbert finally someone who agrees! how much are the AT-M40fs?

Back