just got drums . . .

lysis

ok, was hoping someone could answer some q's for me. i just picked up a used drumset from my buddy. i know it's not the best, but i'm going to work with what i've got. was hoping i could get some answers real quick:

what heads do you recommend for recording? again; i have a cheap set. also, it might make a difference for you to know that i have these things that if you tighten, move up against the head. i was told that is to lessen the echo effect? i have heads on the bottom of the toms, but i'm not against taking them off if it's recommended.

what is moon gel? i saw this in a thread about the cymbal ring. is this similar to the tape?

i've already got an idea on how i need to mic; i've done it before. i just was hoping i could get some extra help with the heads and whatnot.

thanks guys.

hey lysis whats up man? if you want good heads, i personally like hydraulic heads. these heads give you an awesome low tone/sound. the sound is awesome but that's just my prefrence. moon gels are like little gel things that look like rectangles. they can damp the drums alot. thats as much as i can answer. PEACE!

joel

If you have a cheaper kit then I would definitely suggest using the Evans Hydraulics. They're very easy to tune and they used to make my piece of crap Stage Custom sound pretty damn good. Moon Gels are little rectangular squares of some type of silicone rubber. They're used to tame the nasty overtones that some drums produce. Most of the time if you are decently versed in the art of drum tuning you won't have a need to use the Moon Gels, however if you're looking for a real quick way to make a set of toms sound punchy and gated, these will do it for you. Hope this helps.

Justin

hey lysis, those things that you "move up against the head to lesson the echo" serve the same purpose as moon gel. Any dampening device seeks ultimately to lessen overtones, or "echoes" as you put it. Unfortunately though, the best way to figure out how to record your drums is to just record them. You'll never know in advance which heads you would like the best- and one you like a live sound for might not be your fave for recordings. Same for cymbals, etc. Just go to a good drumshop and talk to the guys. If you find someone good they'll show you different sounds, etc. and help you find what you're looking for.

lysis--

first of all, congrats! i think everyone should learn how to keep at least a basic beat on drums--it helps them understand what it is that drummers do and it helps them convey ideas and better communicate with the drummer.

which heads? first of all, what kind of drums are they? some drums are better suited for certain heads. it's analagous to how some guitars like certain core/composition strings better than others. i've got a set of ludwigs from the 60s that i wouldn't dare dream of putting remo pinstripes or other "hydraulic" style heads on. rather, coated ambassadors sound great on it. nor would i dream of putting those coated heads on my pearl kit--it works best with evans g2's. so figure out the kind (or style) of drums you've got and get heads that would be best suited to those drums. let us know what you got and maybe we can suggest 8 different staring places. :D

now, that said, you usually can't go wrong with evans hydraulics, remo pinstripes, or some other 2-ply (oil in the middle) head. they usually produce deeper, punchier, deader sounds than coated or single-ply clear heads. again, they might not be the "right" ones for your drums. you might have drums that want to sing with clear single ply heads. i dunno.

second of all (well, really, first of all!), learn how to properly tune the drums. you wouldn't try to play a guitar without it being in tune, would you? let alone without having a clue where to start on how to tune it?

well, start here: < http://www.drumweb.com/profsound.shtml >

if you start with properly tuned drums, it makes everything else (namely recording them) infintely easier. it's sad, but most drummers don't know how to properly tune their own instrument. :(

should you lose that bottom head? some drums were specifically meant (or designed) for that application. check out don henley's kit in the "mtv" video for hotel california. most drums, however, were meant (designed) to be double-headed. i've found that keeping the kit as a single-headed kit was usually a compensation for something--most notably worn-out heads or not knowing how to tune. sometimes both. :D try it with new heads on both--the investment in new bottom heads will last you several times as long as the investment on top heads--it's good bang for the buck. i need to follow my own advice. :p

i feel the same way about moon gel and that sort of stuff. it's a great "lifesaver" when you need something like that--dampen that one ringy frequency that you can't tune out of the snare, etc. but i've often found people over-use it to compensate. it's kinda like throwing money at the problem instead of fixing it. i would worry a lot more about learning how to tune the drums than i would about things to deaden overtones. just learn to not have those overtones in there in the first place--it's not real hard.

and i'm sorry about the length of this, but you asked some questions and i wanted to give you some thorough (my wife would say "rambling") answers.

seriously, even on the shittiest of the shittiest drumsets, don't underestimate the investment of a new set of properly tuned heads will do for the kit. night and day.

cheers (and congrats!),
wade

Fall From Grace said:
If you have a cheaper kit then I would definitely suggest using the Evans Hydraulics. They're very easy to tune and they used to make my piece of crap Stage Custom sound pretty damn good.

Justin

You're callin your Stage Customs a piece of crap? I just had a thread on Stage Customs vs. Pacific LX drums. What don't you like bout your SCs? Would like to know more info cause I have invested in em and see no wrong. lol.

Sorry about that crap comment. I shouldn't have said it like that. The Stage Customs are a student level kit and I used them for many years. FOR THE PRICE they sound great, they really do. I was happy for many years with my Stage Customs. However, comparing those same Stage Customs with My new DW kit or my Tama StarClassic Performer kit, they sound like crap. That's why I said what I did. Hope that clears it up. I didn't intend to hurt anyone's feelings.

Justin

it's brand name is "thunder" i had my buddy come over and tune the drums for me. they sound a lot better already. he's been playing for over 10 years, so he knows his shit with that. the cymbals are B8 series sabian. the ride has a lot of ring, (overtone on cymbals?) and the hardware for the cymbals is falling apart so i definitely need to get new stands. i can't completely tighten the ride's stand. the crash stand broke. all the heads are yamaha double thin, except the snare is a remo . . . . ummmm. (i'm at work so i gotta think) ummmm, weatherking? no that's not right . . . maybe it is. sounds weird for a drumhead though (told you i'm new at drums . . .)

anything else you should know? i don't know dimension, i'm sure i can get them.

oh yea, dw7000 kick pedal. it's a double, but the left foot on it is broke; i'm lefty anyway so i'd have to get a left footed double bass pedal.

Back