just got delta 66/omni studio today, installing/cable setup questions

ambi

I just recieved my soundcard today! YEA finally the jump from the SBLIVE!!!

Now i'm not sure if i should just ditch the SB all together, or keep it in there?

Also i don't think there is a mini input on the delta 66, so i'll have to buy some sort of usb midi thing. I get a terrible latency with the SB, so in logic audio with Pro 52 i can't really record things.

Any idea's on this? Keep the sb? Ditch it? I see no reason to keep it other than gaming, but i don't game that much. Also i'm using 4.1 klipsch pro media speakers right now for everything (i know i know, i'm a poor student i can't afford monitors yet).

So i might just use to 2 front speakers and the sub, i see no point in using the back 2 speakers. So i'd just get a stereo female 1/8' - 2 1/4 mono cable. So i could use 2 of the outputs from the delta for the speakers for now.

thanks! I haven't had time to try installing it yet, but i'm sure there will be some bugs to work out. I'll keep you all updated!

I did the same a couple of years ago - finally had to ditch the SBLive 'cos my consumer apps (and Giga Sampler - go figger) insisted on attaching to it and couldn't find the Delta.

This was under WME - your software and OS might be smarter now. I'd love to get SBLive back - all those Soundfonts gathering dust - but given all the conflicts I encountered, the sacrifice was worth it.

Daf (who has a soft sampler that reads Soundfonts, just needs some damn TIME!!!)

Ah ok.

Yea i have winxp.

Also one curiosity, i have all of my projects in logic audio, under 16 bit because of the SB live.

Can i switch my current projects to 24 bit? I'll keep it at the same frequency 44.1 or 48, whatever the default it. But i'd like to record new things into my current songs in 24 bit.

Does this work? OR do i have to keep all of the current songs in 16 bit, and do the new ones in 24 bit?

ambi said:
Ah ok.

Yea i have winxp.

Also one curiosity, i have all of my projects in logic audio, under 16 bit because of the SB live.

Can i switch my current projects to 24 bit? I'll keep it at the same frequency 44.1 or 48, whatever the default it. But i'd like to record new things into my current songs in 24 bit.

Does this work? OR do i have to keep all of the current songs in 16 bit, and do the new ones in 24 bit?

Not a logic user, but you should be able to convert to 24-bit with their wav editor. They do have one, right?

And are you stuck forever with your current version of Logic? May want to move earlier instead of later...

Daf

No i'll be moving to something else eventually.
Probably cubase sx or the likes.

I also have soundforge. So you mean change each individual wave file, and then reloading them into a new project? Or in Logic, open the sound file and convert it, and then it will stay in the current project?

Cause i don't want to have to re sequence all my songs, that would kill me. they're all incomplete and need extra things recorded.

ambi said:
I just recieved my soundcard today! YEA finally the jump from the SBLIVE!!!

Now i'm not sure if i should just ditch the SB all together, or keep it in there?
I've got the same setup :)

One thing you might want to try with Win XP is using hardware profiles (check XP's help for info on setting them up). This will allow you to use the SB card and all your peripherals for "normal" operations, and then reboot the system into a DAW mode that only has the hardware enabled that you need for recording/audio work.

Setting my system up this way solved a lot of IRQ sharing and latency problems for me, and may be useful for you too.

I use both Delta/66 and SB Live cards in the same XP Pro box and they co-exist peacefully. I use the SB card for MIDI, because the Delta card lacks it, as you note.

I only use this machine for music, so I don't have to worry about consumer apps grabbing the SB. Between the M-audio routing panel and Sonar, I get to hear what I want and not what I don't ;-)

Those are osme good idea's, i'm gonna work on those when i get some time.

I got the card installed, got all my adapters and cables, i have it playing through my speakers and it sounds great, but ever 8 seconds or so there is a small skip in sound, a small pop, when playing mp3's.

What might this be? I got the most recent drivers from the website.

Any ideas?

Ok in the control pannel in the hardware settings.

I clicked the box under the dma buffer size to use windows default for mme. It seemed to fix it, but now as i'm listening while typing, it's gotten worse...shoot.

I can't figure this out!

I moved the card to a different slot. Removed the sb card. Still these pops and cracks and pauses when i listen to music.

WHAT THE HELL!

Someone help me!

Ok still the same problem guys.

But it seems that the only songs that skip are the higher quality songs, the ones that i ripped and encoded myself. Also most of my waves were skipping from projects i've made.

What the hell is up with that? I think i used CDEX and the lame encoder for them. But they sound fine on cds, they sound fine on my old soundcard, and on other people's computers too? What gives?

Some buffer issue to do with the higher quality songs needing more processing and lagging a bit?

ambi said:
I can't figure this out!

I moved the card to a different slot. Removed the sb card. Still these pops and cracks and pauses when i listen to music.

WHAT THE HELL!

Someone help me!

go to device manager and select "view devices by connection" and see if you have anything sharing the IRQ with the sound card. If so, you're going to have to move the sound card around or disable devices until it has it's own IRQ.

(this is why I wound up setting up a DAW hardware profile)

Ok i went into the delta card in the device manager and clicked on it's properites and it'in IRQ 12 right now. But i can't seem to figure out how to view everything as IRQ's? Should i just go into each individual thing, ie: videocard, network card, etc.. and see which ircq's they're on?

Nothing seems to be on the same IRQ?

I just noticed now when i listen to mp3's on my headphones there is a constant static in the left year. And on a low quality mp3 i had that skipping really bad. The temp would slow down temporarily and distort. every few seconds.
DAMNIT!

Is there an maudio phone number i can call? I am seriousl pissed off.

Fucking piece of shit.

Updated all of my drivers, windows updates, made sure it had it's own IRQ, etc.. everything anyone could suggest.

POS Very unsatisfied with Maudio gear right now. I'd advice others avoid it until they resolve these issues. Soundcard should NOT be this hard to install.

I had similar issues with my Delta 44. I spent ages dicking around with dma buffer sizes, increasing & decreasing number of buffers, made no difference whatsoever.

You're right, the support from M-Audio is pathetic.

The way I got around it was to upgrade from 98 to XP. I still don't know the reason for the noise problems. I can only guess that some bit of software, a driver or something was the culprit, and it got blown away when I did the upgrade. Short of reinstalling XP, I'm not sure what else you can do.

well i did it on my other harddrive, with a seperate install of win xp.
same thing. But no noticed the mp3's only skip when playing from a different hard drive? WTF?

Also, it froze my comp, and i can't boot up onto my main drive anymore. It just freezes while booting. Is there anyways from WINXP that i can scan the hard drive for erros from a different drive.

Say i'm on Drive D:, can i boot to drive D:, and then can drive c:?

How would i do thius? I can't find my norton utilities cd, anything built into winxp?

As long as both of your drives are bootable, ie they have an OS installed on them, then you can boot off either.

Just go into your bios and set the order of drives to boot from

Yes i know, i've booted to my other drive. but i need to fix my broken drive from the working drive.

Back