Just got an 8 track Reel to Reel, now what?

Audio_Drivel

Well, okay. . . I've been dreaming of having a nice tape machine for a while, and I finally got what I think to be a very nice bargain. . . http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1392919087

A Tascam M48 recorder, 1/2 inch 15ips tape (professional spec) with the remote and all for 350 bucks. . I really didnt think I would get it that cheap, I bid on the "hey, itd be great but it'll never happen" principle.

So now. . I know I'm gonna need some cleaning stuff, an alignment tape, etc. . where would be the best place to get all the accessories i need? I have a dbx 566 dual channel compressor, a few mics including a nice CAD large bodied condensor, and a Mackie 1202VLX mixer. . what next?? I wanna get all of this stuff nice and up to spec, I'm thinking my next major purchase will be in the mic pre dept (I wanna get some racked APIs, or some nice pro brand, whatever i can get cheapest. . tube would be nice, but. . )

I think this will do me wonders tho once I get everything up to spec, if you havent heard any of my stuff (it was done on an 8track cassette porta studio, transferred digitally. . pretty half assed but i think i got a good sound). . it's at http://www.originalcyndi.com . . I'm really excited about getting this tape machine and all up and running. .

Congratulations on the new machine.

You now need a new mixer. The 1202 is not going to cut it for recording to an eight-track machine. You do not have enough inserts on your board for direct outs, and not enough channels for tape returns. You will be repatching forever.

The 48 is a nice machine. It is more pro oriented than the 38 series. You got a good price on it too, providing everything is up to snuff on it. The remote alone is worth nearly $100. Did you ask the seller any questions regarding use or storage? Was he/she the original owner?

When you get it, inspect the tape path and pinch roller and give it a good cleaning with head cleaner. Do not use the head cleaner on the pinch roller. You will destroy it. TASCAM still sells the pinch rollers for around $40 if you need a new one.

Unless you are going to perform your own alignment or you are serious about learning how to do this and you have the electronic and mechanical aptitude to perform this maintenance, I wouldn't worry about the alignment tape. Have it serviced by a pro.

Still, it doesn't hurt to have a tape to CHECK the alignment every quarter or so to make sure everything is as it should be. Good insurance. These machines do not drift out of alignment on a daily or weekly or even a monthly basis. It is good to make sure you are not getting excessive headwear because the tape is skewed across the heads. The test tones will tell you this.

yes, you really need a new mixer. But you can get started now, if you like. Your situation is exactly like mine a few years ago. I forget if the 1202 has 8 direct outs but if not you can return your signal from tape, into the 8 XLR ins, and use an external pre( I just got a Tube MP) to get signal to tape. This is a real ghetto way of doing it, but it will hold you for a while until you get more money for gear.
Congradulations, If you decide to run with this set-up, you're in for a great time. Analog mixing rules!

1External pre(or pres if recording a band)
2. Cables half of them are going to be regular XLR cables, and the other half will be XLR(female) to TRS.

Save up for mixer.

Audio_Drivel said:
... where would be the best place to get all the accessories i need? .

Maybe nobody is addressing this question because you neglected to provide your address. Hard to tell someone where to shop if their location is (blank).

Or maybe you thought we'd all just show up at your house for brunch if you told us what state or country you lived in. Don't worry... I already ate.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Look in the Tascam forum. Sennheisser posted links for MRLs and blank tape.

i'm in memphis. . i guess i really meant on the internet, RE: places to get stuff. . since it's usually cheaper and all. .

old stock tape

another thing i am interested in, i have heard that newer tape is made to somewhat different specs, the quantegy and whatnot, im very interested in getting a vintage 60s/70s sound, how much would tape affect that?? is there anywhere to find some good older tape formulations, and the such?? it seems to be an often overlooked area. . .

I don't know if tape formulation has changed or not. Ampex 456 is the same thing as Quantegy 456. It just has a different name on the box. Backing may have changed and the way the oxide is afixed to the backing, but I think for the most part the formulations have not changed.

Your pre- selection and mic will have a lot to do with your sound too.

I think your best buy for a mixer would now be the Soundcraft Spirit M8. 8 XLR ins with inserts and DIRECT OUTS!!!! 8 x stereo in (4 stereo returns, 4 'normal' stereo inputs ), mid sweep 3 band eq, 4x aux, 100mm faders. Ghost pre-amps (QUALITY!!!!)

ask around. Or get some Audiobuddies/DMP-3's next to your Mackie mixer...

Back