Just got a Variax700 HT

Dr_simon

OK OK so I don't work for Line6 or anything but...

for all you tone hounds out there... check one out ASAP !

it could have saved me a fortune on guitars if I'd a got it years ago.

The strat sounds better than the three strats I have sitting behind me and the LP settings kick the but of my 1960 classic RI

The finish is lovely and the set up was great state out of the box.

I prefer my PRS or LP for playability and feel however as far as tone goes this beast is a winner.

Made me get my Hendrix song books out of the closet !

Next to the PRS it is a bit clunky however as you'd expect the finish is nice and the frets are well dressed.

Feels more like a strat than anything else.

However the tone just blows my socks off !!

I'm looking into one of those myself, but for studio use. Just out of curiosity, did you also buy the POD XT live or are you using it with just an amp? All the promo I have on it has it used in conjunction with the POD XT live, but I don't think I have a need for that. The tones of the guitar itself should be more than usable...correct?

Is there much of a difference between the 700 and the 600 besides cosmetics? I don't really like the look of the 600 (the 700 is beautiful though), but for the price difference and the usage it would get with me, I'm wondering if the 600 is the one to get and save almost half the cost. What's your opinion?

I haven't tried the 600, as once I decided I wanted it, I went straight for the 700. Past purchase have taught me that if I liked the 3, 5 0r 6 I'd end up getting the 7 and selling the previous axe at a massive loss ! I think the guts of the 3/5/6 and 7 are the same. I have heard the 300 is not so well finished but also not played one.

I have a Marshall TSL and the variax sounds great in the front of that baby in the clean, crunch and dirty channels.

I also got the pod XT and it sounds great through that puppy. The digital cable option is nice as it will power the variax (no need for batteries of the little dongley thing) as well as do patch changes (with guitar model as well as amp model).

For recording I prefer going to tape via the xt which is a lovely bit of kit. With the digital cable it also means I stay digital from the strings to the HDD.

I have a 500 and XTL and it's a wonderful combination. I chose the 500 over the 300 and the 600. I believe the 600 is an upgrade to the 300 wheras the 500 was/is a mid range model. I would have loved a 700 but too pricey. You can still find 500's at Musicians Friend and on eBay.

I play through a keyboard amp (I have Roland but Behringer is also good) and get great acoustic sounds to go with all the guitars. I've also used workbench to program in BASS guitars, 1 octave up guitars and lots of alt tunings. All very cool.

Tony

Back