just got a supraphonic...

Ding Dong

I'm recently the proud owner of a 6.5x14 ludwig supraphonic snare. I already can tell that this thing screams. however, Im not sure about the heads that were on it when I bought it- they are the origanal ludwigs. It was tuned very very tight (ala primus) and I am looking for a deeper sound. I loosened the batter head, and it still sounds too dry and treblely. Im wondering what sort of head configurations might give me the tone Im looking for- deep with some ring. Im considering a thinner snare side head.... any thoughts?

Congrats on the Snare.
A good one for sure.

You did not state how old the snare was, or more pointedly, how old the "original heads" were.
If they are from the '70s... I'd change them for some good evans or Aquarians before anything else.

Try actually recording the drum to get a feel for the depth of the body sound.
What you hear behind the kit is rarely what you get over the mic.
I have a brass snare (14 x 6.5) that sounds real tight and edgy at the playing position, but the mics capture it as a full bodied deep snare sound.
I mic mine with a C1000 parallel (slightly downward) to the head about 3 inches off and right about the height of the rim. It picks up some of the shell resonance that way and not so boxy.

i'd stick a coated ambassador on the top and a diplomat (or emperor) on the bottom pretty quickly. the heads that are on there are probably LONG dead.

and congrats! that snare should be quite versatile......and when tuned well (and played in a decent sounding room), should record quite nicely.

cheers,
wade

Back