Just got a 2 track reel to reel

sushi-mon

Fostex A-2, 1/4 inch, 15ips.

I found some Quantegy 499 at the music store for $7. So I did some recording with it, and really liked what I got.

However, it appears that I should go with 456. I spoke to the guy at JRF and he said, based on the calibration tape recommendation from Fostex, that I would not really get the benefits of the higher tapes, because my player won't be able to put down the higher tape level, i.e, +6 db.

I think this makes sense, because I was slamming the tape pretty hard with a bass track with an occasionally peak, but a lot of time was spent at 0 to +5 db on the tapes VU meters. I did not notice an audible distortion, although the bass tracks outta Ptulz was certainly warmed up.

If I go down to 456, then I should be able to start getting some tape saturation. But with the 499, I get nice clean warm sound, but can't necessarily get the benefits of saturation.

Reason I am asking, is that I am going to have the machine professionally set up, and I have to pick which tape to set it up for. I am considering either the 499 and 456 for the above reasons. Any thoughts or experiences ?

Sush

Have it setup to factory spec and use either Quantegy 457 or RMGI LPR35. For mastering you generally want to avoid saturation. Keep peaks between 0 VU and +3 VU. If you want to use the A-2 for recording individual instruments and want some tape effect, then use Quantegy 407, which will saturate at lower levels. You still want to keep peak levels below +3 VU so as not to clip the electronics. You want the musical distortion of the tape while avoiding the non-musical distortion of overdriven electronics.

~Tim
:)

Back