just getting my home studio started. help!

thegurumatthart

what all do u feel is needed to make quality hip hop and r&b music
i currently have these things
-mxl 990 microphone
-mxl 991 microphone
-studio one artist software
-presonus audiobox interface
-gateway fx laptop
-tascam studio monitors
-pop filter
-m-audio axiom 25
-mic stand

is there anything else yall feel is needed to make my studio more complete

thanks for all the help in advance
-the guru matt hart

I see your recording equipment and the type of music..... but is it you that your recording or other people?
Besides the equipment the other major factor is the quality of what is being recorded! Spot on vocals lead and backing, in tune and well played -drums / guitars / bass, great keyboard playing etc. etc. .You don't want to end up with.... poop in ~ poop out!.!

:cool:

I can never quite understand why so many people ask "What do I need?" as if it were a recipe for a cake or something. Maybe it's because I bought my gear in dribs, as and when I needed it?

It kinda started out as a rough skeleton, which became fleshed out as I progressed.

Basically, I think - above and beyond the basics, when the need arises for something more, it will be presaged by a hunger for the next peice of gear, which you absolutely can't progress without.

I think the time to worry is when something doesn't work or stops working for you.

Even the term 'basic' is a subjective term. Whether a studio is more or less complete, depends entirely on the level of detail/professionalism intended.

My studio will not be complete until I get that large poster of Cassandra Peterson framed and put up! The important thing is that it feels complete for the level you are currently working at.

If this is your first time recording and you have a computer, interface, monitoring, one form of input (mic) and software IMO, you're ready to start work.

Once you start making your first sounds with the absolute basics, you'll be happy for the first few weeks until you realise the music is missing some 'ingredient'. That's exactly how the question of "What do I need" gets answered - and the question may well get answered many times along your musical path.

Then, you'll be happy for say, a few months, until you think: "Ah, but it could be a bit better if I add...(insert name of device here)" .... And so on...

Otherwise we could be here all day making a checklist which includes cables & connectors, mixing desk, ext. sound processor, room treatments, control surfaces, dual screens, recording booths, yadda yadda yadda...

So dig in, start recording some vocals and get yourself to a stage where your instincts can identify what comes next... That is, at least, the fun way of getting started.

You seem to have it nailed so far.
113.gif

I hope this makes sense...?

Best of luck and welcome to the HR Forum! :)

Dr. V

Last edited:
+1 to everything that's been said. You are ready to get started now, all you need is practice. Start playing around, I think you will soon find out that the next thing you need is treatment, but you can certainly get some decent recordings with what you have. I have a set-up similar to yours and I can get some pretty nice hip-hop tracks with it. My next purchase will be treatment, if I can ever save up enough money.

Back