Just bought Sonar 7 producer and cant hear anything!!

musicaldrops

I've been playing guitar for 20 years and recording on a Korg d1600 for the past 7 years. I just purchased Sonar 7 and i'm using a PC with an ATHLON AMD, VISTA 64, 4 gigs of ram ,and installed SOUND BLASTER FATALITY X-fi plus a nice NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS graphics card.

My question is; Can someone explain to me in plain terms how to get sound out of the damm thing?? Tech support has not helped.I'm not very comp. elit. Sonar is telling me that my drivers might be used by something else. Can anyone walk me through the steps to correct the problem??
Mike

Last edited:
Since it could be just about anything at all that is snagging you up I think you should just RTFM and engage in trial and error, statr from the start etc etc....seriously...it's the best way.

Since it could be just about anything at all that is snagging you up I think you should just RTFM and engage in trial and error, statr from the start etc etc....seriously...it's the best way.
Thanks for the comment but i'm not very good at the computer.I'm not sure what RTFM means. Is it possible to give me a short walk through? I'm willing to try anything

RTFM = Basically, to read through the manual(s).

Is the soundcard working ok in another application other than Sonar? Like playing a .wav file or CD in Media Player/Winamp/Real Player?

As part of Sonar installation, did it instruct you to run Wave Profiler?

RTFM (read the fucking manual)

Not a very patient thing to say. In the top menu tool bar click options/audio.
Select the Soundblaster as both input and playback device. Close Sonar. Re-start Sonar and see if the options you just chose remained. If they did, the Sonar has recognised your device. If they did not, run the audio profiler again. Check to see if any audio drivers are available.

You only have one soundcard, correct? Sonar should recognise this as the default device. If not, you can go into the Vista Sound devices anmd make it the default device for this computer.

Somewhere I remember that all soundblasters have a check box somewhere in there own control panel about "What you hear". Enabling or disabling this may help you eliminate in internal feedback loop to this device (maybe the "device is in use" error). Of course, your mileage may vary.

Don't give up, it's really not that hard when you get the hang of it, but the learning curve can be pretty steep.

tried everything

well, when I try to input an audio cd the source drive only gives me this option
i:/ which is telling me its not reconizing anything I assume:confused:

So you get no Windows sounds either? Did you recently install this Soundblaster or something? Has no sound ever come from this computer? Is the CD cable attached to the sound card?

I've been playing guitar for 20 years and recording on a Korg d1600 for the past 7 years. I just purchased Sonar 7 and i'm using a PC with an ATHLON AMD, VISTA 64, 4 gigs of ram ,and installed SOUND BLASTER FATALITY X-fi plus a nice NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS graphics card.

My question is; Can someone explain to me in plain terms how to get sound out of the damm thing?? Tech support has not helped.I'm not very comp. elit. Sonar is telling me that my drivers might be used by something else. Can anyone walk me through the steps to correct the problem??
Mike

The fact that you identify your cpu as an "athlon AMD" makes me think that either you don't know how to configure your PC or that you're a troll.

My second thought is that your soundcard drivers are not compatible with Vista 64 bit. Did you upgrade the OS or is this a clean install?

i have sonar 6, there could be a couple of things that could be wrong. first, check your audio settings under the options. on the audio tab, check the drivers tab and check for asio. thats if you are using a firewire interface or usb. don't use the wmd or the m?? driver, those are windows base. second, under the options, click on global settings. in those settings, check the audio tab. make sure you have the 16/24 bit settings. i, myself, have the 24 bit, 48000 hz checked. close the program and restart it. then look at the bottom of the screen of the program and see if you have the 48/24 setting. you have to have the same setting configuration on your sound interface. Good luck, hope that works.

Rule of thumb for getting support for computer problems is to write down, step by step, what you are doing and then any error boxes that come up in Sonar. Then people can respond to your problem.

As stated above, are you getting sounds in Windows? i.e. can you play music with Windows Media Player. If not then it's not Sonar but your soundcard is not set up properly.

If Windows sounds are working, then Sonar should have automatically profiled your soundcard the first time it ran. If this did not happen then it points back to the soundcard not working in Windows.

What is your OS? Is this Windows 32 or 64. Same questions for Sonar is it the 32 or 64 bit version you installed?

If Cakewalk is telling you the driver may be used by something else, that means you are running another program at the same time which is in control of the soundcard and won't release control to another program, like Sonar. This could be a memory resident program that occurs during startup. Just guessing on this. You will have to disable that program so Sonar can take control of the soundcard. This could be a utility that the Soundblaster card is running.

If your motherboard has an onboard soundcard it could be that the soundblaster is conflicting with it as well. You would have to enter the bios and disable the onboard soundcard to reduce potential conflicts.

Those are my best guesses without more data.

Vista 64 driver

http://support.creative.com/Downloads/welcome.aspx
Here's the correct driver. Many users report issues. My guess is that your soundcard doesn't play nice with Sonar 7 in 64 bit Vista.

http://support.creative.com/KB/Show...=8,varset=ws:http://us.creative.com,case=9286

What is the impact of Windows Vista™ on the Sound Blaster X-Fi series of products? Are there any significant changes after installing new drivers?

Drivers updated from the web will comply with UAA standards. However, due to Microsoft's new Windows Vista™ architecture, some features may be lost. Please refer to the (WRN) Web Release Notes (WRN) found with the new driver downloads for details.

Which Sound Blaster X-Fi products are affected?

Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
What is the effect of not having DirectSound 3D hardware acceleration?

Legacy DirectSound3D based game titles (either with or without EAX effects) will not work as they did in Windows XP. However, the Creative ALchemy Project for the X-Fi series of products* allows you to run your favorite DirectSound3D games on Windows Vista™ with full hardware accelerated 3D Audio and EAX support.

The Creative ALchemy Project is still in beta and you can learn more at: http://preview.creativelabs.com/alchemy/default.aspx

*Creative ALchemy does not support the X-Fi Xtreme AudioSound Blaster Audigy

Back