Just bought some 703, now what?

deejuks2

Hey all, my recording studio is about 20' x 17', and I will be recording drums, acoustic guitar, vocals, electric guitar, and electric bass in it. I have NO isolation between drums and vocals etc.. all intruments will be recorded in the same space (just not all at the same time - thank god).

Now i enjoy some color and reverb on my acoustic guitar, especially when i am playing it. The better it sounds at the time of recording, the better i can play. Right now my room offers this little bit of color, and i think vocals and acoustic guitar sound alright in it. There is NO treatment anywhere in the room except for an area rug.

That being said, my drums sound pretty awful in the room. You can hear hundreds of echoes all around when you play them. Can i do some sort of "half-way" room treating with 703 so both acoustic guit. and guitar are tolerable? would you suggest lots of acoustical foam and just add in the 'verb in the mixing process? I'm kinda lost here.

1 Can i do some sort of "half-way" room treating with 703 so both acoustic guit. and guitar are tolerable? 2 would you suggest lots of acoustical foam and just add in the 'verb in the mixing process? 3 I'm kinda lost here.

1 Possibly. Using gobos will be better than nothing in an untreated room.

2 No to starting with acoustic foam. Recording wet (with reverb) or dry (without) is a personal choice. Recording dry allows you to add reverb later at a level that you can decide when you are mixing sounds best.

3 It kinda shows but don't worry, we all were at one time or another. There is a comprehensive index of what you need to know over at Gearslutz. For now just read the 6 links in the first section, General Info, to get an undertsanding of what needs to be done and why. If starting with less jargon helps, here is a simpler explanation for someone who was struggling with the techincal jargon.

Back