just bought rode nt1-a... can't notice much improvement

tojo

I'm listening to some demos i've recorded between my at2020 and my new rode nt1a.

I recorded acoustic guitar in stereo, nt1a and at2020 both on my acoustic. Then I did my vocal track... and I'm not noticing much difference in the nt1a between the at 2020... in fact i think the at2020 almost sounds as good if not better than the rode. The rode has more bass low end(according to my ears, and then according to my eq analyzer on logic) than the at2020... but I don't really hear $200 worth of improvement.

Anybody else been in my shoes and can give me some tips? I was hoping for clear, natrual reverb with the nt1a as I've read about. It sounds good, don't get me wrong, but not exactly what I was thinking it would sound like (i heard a cd my friends band made with the nt1a as the vocal mic and it sounds killer.

i have a an edirol fa-101 for the interface.

i can post clips a bit later if you want.

Just because a mic is more expensive does not mean it will sound better on everything, nor will it necessarily be a better mic for your needs. They are still both relatively inexpensive mics. If it's not the one for you, return it or sell it and try something else.

Just because a mic is more expensive does not mean it will sound better on everything, nor will it necessarily be a better mic for your needs. They are still both relatively inexpensive mics. If it's not the one for you, return it or sell it and try something else.

I am aware of what you said, but I was still expecting a bit more of a difference. I guess a smoother sound sort of. Its hard to describe. I haven't got a great amount of experience when it comes to comparing microphones, including ones that are more expensive. I got it also because I got a free rode m3 with it.

wait, what?

Kinda like a natrualy smooth rounded sound. I want to try that at4040 to see what more expensive condensers are like. I guess I could really just get by with what I had before.

also, when I pick up my nt1-a and like shake it gently i can feel something move inside of it... is that supposed to be that way?

Thanks

yes yes i know...

i was looking for more replies about the mic itself... if you have any information regarding that I would really appreciate that.

yes yes i know...

i was looking for more replies about the mic itself... if you have any information regarding that I would really appreciate that.

i was suggesting that perhaps the monitors you are using aren't accurately revealing the intricacies of each mic.

ah yes, good point. I don't use montiors, i have a a stereo system with cheap speakers. I don't use them though. I just use headphones. Thanks for the tip though.

also, when I pick up my nt1-a and like shake it gently i can feel something move inside of it... is that supposed to be that way?

Thanks

Well you are not supposed to shake your mics...but there shouldnt be anything moving inside.

I had a rode nt1 and it just sounded cheap...they did look different back then.

if you wish to stay at this price point there are a few acceptable mics like the AT3035...some like the Akg 2000b...Shure SM7...all go for arround $200 used.

I am aware that you shouldn't shake your microphones. I just noticed it when I picked it up. I thought the grill was loose or something, but it seems to be something within the body. I think i'll take it to the store and see if I can swap it with another one..

I got it with the rode promotion thats on right now in which you get a $1 microphone if you buy any of the selected rode mics.

I bet the at 3035 or the at4040 are really nice... (I'm thinking they'd be similar to my at2020 but way better.

Personally I think that the AT line is better than the rode one. Even at the 20xx level. Not that I've used any of those mics. I had an AT4033a and it was a good mic, in a very specialized way. I miss some aspects of it, but sound wise, the frequency response was anything but flat and that bugged me. Since it was weakest in my range and when recording a group, that did strange things to the balance of a group. Nice detail though. And that was before I took EQ off the deadly sin list.

You really should monitor on monitors. There's certain sounds that don't reproduce well on headphones and speakers. Rattling noises in the mic itself. Electronic buzz. Wind noise. Excessive low end rumble / handling noise. Those can all go unnoticed on headphones. But might be enough to get your demo rejected by someone with better gear than you. Just because it doesn't get reproduced on your gear, doesn't mean that it doesn't TRY to reproduce them and therefor adversely affects what you actual want reproduced.

Rattling noises. Perhaps they're like samson and put extra parts inside for you. My Q5 headphone preamp had an extra locking nut floating around in there. Since all of the other nuts were accounted for when I took it apart to remove it and stop the rattling noise. Always nice to have metal parts pressed against the underside of a circuit board to make it perform it's best. But then again, I bought it used and cheap.

Speakers are designed to make things sound better than they are.

Monitors reproduce things in all their gory detail. (or at least try to)

So... The radio tower next to you is more obvious in the reproduction of your recording on monitors. That hiss / noise floor is more obvious. You tapping your foot on the leg of the mic stand is more obvious. These are things that might be IN your recording that you may not be hearing on just speakers. But the guy you gave your recording to is probably hearing these sounds and wondering what were you thinking. And why you think that you made a good recording. Or if it's a client that paid you to record them, they might wonder why you hate them so much.

I wouldnt trade for another Rode if it isnt doing it for you anyhow...get your money back since you have a legit reason and go for something better.

I wasn't planning on trading it... At least i don't think i wrote anything like that in an earlier post.

go to rodemic.com and you will see what I did. I bought a microphone and was able to get a rode m3 for $1... thats one of the reasons I bought the nt1a... apart from it being a pretty good mic... I wasn't saying its awful. I'm not a crazy audiophile like some of you guys who pay far more than I did for a mic. I was just making a comment on what I noticed about the rode microphone and was looking for anyone else who was in the same boat as me.

I also wanted information on whether or not people have had experience with something rattling inside the microphone that emits a quiet bass rattle. Like nearly noticeable. And i got some information. so thank you.

any other input would be great

Back