Just bought my first rack piece of equipment!!

Mish

I don't know why it's such a big deal for me, but I was absolutely excited about getting this rack-mounted gate/compressor. Maybe coz it has this "professional studio" look about it, but I was jumping around the flat when I finally brought it home! So here's my new baby -

2j26k2q.jpg

Still in the bag

jrcjrr.jpg

I can't believe I actually took time to take a pic of this, instead of tearing the box apart straight away

34jd94y.jpg

View from the top

wisked.jpg

Testing for the first time!

x3wua1.jpg

An addition to the rig

So what can I say - she's beautiful. I don't have any experience with dynamic processors, but I already can say that I've no idea how I've been playing guitar without a gate. It clears up the tone so well I felt like it was someone else with 10+ more years of experience playing the guitar (I still find it hard to hit the right string without hitting everything else around). I haven't heard the compressor yet but, then again - that's really the point of the compressor, you're not supposed to 'hear' it.

And on top of everything, I really love Behringer. Not only because I can't afford Mackie or Alesis - but coz they make really damn good equipment.

Now, I'm off to read 500 pages of manual :eek: :D

I'm glad it makes your sound a lot better. My gate doesn't let me play.

I have a really heavy sound that comes from Boss MT2 and Behringer EQ stopmbox - that's with factory pickups on my $150 Peavy. It still amazes me that I can get this really bottom-end metalcore sound out of this guitar, but talk about gain overload though! I mostly play single-note riffs on the low strings, but clumsy enough as I am I manage to bring all of them into action - I've only been playing for 2 years but still. With this gate - omg. It mutes everything that I don't intend to play, it's freaky how it improved my sound. Well, I have some troubles with pinch harmonics now, but that's my pickups' fault in the first place.

Also I've fiddled around with compressor after reading the manual and got it working as well. This model has a bypass on it - it's amazing to hear the difference when you switch it on and off.

And it cost me less than 200 bucks :| . I wouldn't even be able to buy Roland Noise Suspender for these money.

By the way, I have a question for guitar players. Where do you put compressor in your signal chain? I've read in one home recording totorial that it's best to compress the clean guitar, so I put it first, before all affects and stuff.

Would it be any better/worse if I connect the compressor using my mixer's AUX send/return?

yep...i've the 4 channel version of this unit, and I like it very much for keeping drum kits under control while recording or playback!...yep, very happy indeed. Great gates aswell!
Paid almost nuthin' for it!
ps..I hope you didn't rip the box apart!...do try to keep it intact...!

I'm a guitar player and I use 3 pedals before the amp. All from BOSS. First one is the GE-7 (EQ), then to the OS-2 (Overdrive Distortion). finally the CS-2 (compressor). I do this because the dynamics of my distorted signal tend to differ from those of the clean one... and because that's the way it sounds better to me.

OK... come on... who are you really??

I'm Captain's Morgan revenge
pirate.gif

yep...i've the 4 channel version of this unit, and I like it very much for keeping drum kits under control while recording or playback!...yep, very happy indeed. Great gates aswell!
Paid almost nuthin' for it!
ps..I hope you didn't rip the box apart!...do try to keep it intact...!

MDX4600, yeah - I was thinking of buying that at first, but decided to get a 2-channel for the start. Great products - it looks like I'm a Behringer man for life now!

LMAO at the box thing :D

I'm a guitar player and I use 3 pedals before the amp. All from BOSS. First one is the GE-7 (EQ), then to the OS-2 (Overdrive Distortion). finally the CS-2 (compressor). I do this because the dynamics of my distorted signal tend to differ from those of the clean one... and because that's the way it sounds better to me.

Hm so you equalize first ? I run thru metalzone, then EQ700 (that was my second stomp box, so it was kinda an obvious choice to put it after the distortion pedal).

I suppose I can mess around with which way to put all 3 of those and see when it sounds better. Thanks anyway!

As much as I'd like to take credit for the above sentiments ... I'm just a really bad influence who's managed to warp at least a few minds on this board.

Including yours, I see.

:D

The only reason I'd use eBay for this would be when I'm gonna sell the box as "the box that Mish bought his compressor in", when I'm on the Guitar Legends cover :p :D

Yeah, I'm humble ^-^

The only reason I'd use eBay for this would be when I'm gonna sell the box as "the box that Mish bought his compressor in", when I'm on the Guitar Legends cover :p :D

Yeah, I'm humble ^-^

hehehehe!.....still.....keep it just in case!:D

As much as I'd like to take credit for the above sentiments ... I'm just a really bad influence who's managed to warp at least a few minds on this board.

Including yours, I see.

:D
Nah... I'm going with the conjoined twins theory...

I'm not bright enough to be influenced

Be careful that stuff gets addicting I went from 1 rack to 4 in less than 6 months. The sound that comes off them is tremendous. I currently have 8 with 2 rack mount amps. My latest edition was my digitech i don't even remember what. It sounds so good i'm thinking of selling my guitar amp. Behringer is a very good starter product iv not had any problem with mine yet. Though some people put them down I personally think they are a pretty good name especially for the price. A duelfex would also help your sound out a lot by giving it more body and filling in those needed mids.

If this was your first piece of rack gear, I was going to ask how you knew they made great equipment before you got it, the part that influenced you decision, but then decided not to ask. I must say, I'm giddy from your love for your first piece of rack gear, though. Reminds me of when I bought my first Joemeek recording channel, previously used to hearing the pres of my 488MKII at the time. I still have, use, and love that little box! It is on snare duties, these days.

Congratulations, man.

Back