Just bought Digimax LT, one channel is bad

jabulani jonny

The title says it all. The seller says it worked perfectly when it left his place. I get it and channel 1 does has no signal, just crackling. The mic and the cable are good. I checked out all other channels with the same mic and cable. I also tried a guitar using a 1/4" cable with the same results. I opened it up, but I don't see anything off hand.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what it might be? Again, absolutely no signal from the instrument/mic, when you crank the gain there's just noise and crackling. ONLY ON CHANNEL 1. All other channels are fine, clear, no noise, good signal.

Any thoughts on how I might be able to fix this in case he's unwilling to do a return?

Jonathan

Well if you get a Crackling sound it sounds like it might just be a Loose connection somewere, maybe the Input Jack or output Jack?...

If it is easy enough to open you might want to look inside and see if there is anything odvious out of place....

Good luck

With a digital device the crackling could be other things as well though, and not as easy to fix. Have you tried jiggling the cable, moving the jack around in the 1/4" plug? If that solves it then you have an intermittent connection, which could just be a bad solder joint.

Hey guys, I opened it up, but didn't see anything with my untrained eye. I'll try it again and look specifically at connections to the input. I'm thinking that's a pretty good bet since the pre-amp seems to function properly, meaning the knob increases the channels gain. I'll check that and see if I see anything. I don't have solder skills yet, but I may have to learn real quick.

Jonathan

i dont recommend learning how to solder on a PCB...

dont touch it if you dont have a clue what you are doing! no warranty huh?

Well, bought it off ebay. Guy said it was in perfect condition and one month old. It had no documentation so I don't know when he really purchased it. I'm not sure if Presonus would warranty it since it was second hand. The guy had 100% feedback with 100+ votes. He said it was perfect when it left him, but the packaging was not the greatest. I'm just trying to see if it's something that can be fixed relatively easily by someone that knows what they're doing. Instead of me having to ship it back and start the looking process all over again.

Jonathan

jabulani jonny said:
I'm just trying to see if it's something that can be fixed relatively easily by someone that knows what they're doing. Instead of me having to ship it back and start the looking process all over again.

Jonathan

Maybe off to PreSonus for an estimate? I'm not sure of their shop rates or if they even do an estimate but it's worth a try. Seems the soldering gurus are a dying breed nowaday. Tough just to get an amp fixed right. They're out there though, just a little tough to find. A few I believe on this board. Does the unit show any wear?
It did occur to me that if this "seller" didn't use it alot, channel 1 would be getting all the plugging and unplugging. I really wouldn't attempt anything other than check the solders at the output jack. Discoloration or melted plastic housing could mean a manu defect that's maybe easily fixable.

Back