just bought an APEX435 Condensor Mic and i cant get it to work...

ROCKetship

i bought an apex 435 mic to record acoustic guitar, vocals, and ukulele.

im using ableton live v7.

i bought a mic chord that attaches to the mic and then goes directly into the microphone jack in my laptop.

i use a very similar process for recording guitar generally. i just plug straight into the computer (with the aid of an adaptor) and just go.

i can record acoustic fine, but as soon as i plug in the mic, i hear nothing.

this leads me to believe it must be the chord or mic or some setting ive screwed up.

but if im plugging my acoustic directly in and it works fine, should the mic not work fine the same way?

Sounds like you need a preamp with phantom power to get the job done. The microphone needs extra power which will be supplied by phantom power, and if you're using an adapter to plug it straight into the computer, the mic can't get the power it needs to work for you.

so i have to buy a phantom power supply and some more chords then?

Exactly. Although you may find, in the long run, it might be worth buying an audio interface that can provide phantom power (+48v). Most of the sound cards that come with computers/laptop are fairly poor for recording - an external audio interface can be had for about $100...

Don't think of it as simply needed phantom -- You need a microphone preamp to bring the signal from mic level to line level while supplying phantom power. And then a cable to turn that balanced "pro" signal into an unbalanced "consumer" signal. And you'll find that it will only register in one channel of your computer's input (most likely, left). So in your recording program, you're going to have to make sure you're not trying to record a mono source to a stereo track.

Just looking ahead...

Back