Just bought a P -k47!

docmattic

Mr peluso finally answered my emails. :) I cant wait till it gets here and hear that lucious sound! *drewls*

I hope its going to make a big difference to the sound of my music/voice.

im just excited. ill post voice clips when i have it installed.

just got mine last night, going to install it tonight. i'm also waiting on a BV314 transformer.

what are you putting it in?

a mxl v67. i still have to buy other parts for it. im going to look into doing that today. i cant work out of i should go jenson or cinemag xformer.

I've tried mine out on two voices so far. A country singer and my own voice. It really sounds good in the mic I have it in. It's really hard to get any sibilance from that capsule. It's very round and smooth. Not bright in any way, so you might be a little surprised at first. It doesn't sound like any Chinese capsule you've heard.

I'm very happy with the one I bought!

just popped the pk47 into the TnC ACM-6802T and the TAB Funkenwerk xformer is coming tomorrow. i'm really excited to get this up and running. now some people mention something about some of the other little electronic doo dahs in there, C6 or something or other... can someone shed some light on what the deal is with these little things?

just popped the pk47 into the TnC ACM-6802T and the TAB Funkenwerk xformer is coming tomorrow. i'm really excited to get this up and running. now some people mention something about some of the other little electronic doo dahs in there, C6 or something or other... can someone shed some light on what the deal is with these little things?

You don't happen to have access to a schematic, do you?

If the mic you're talking about is the generic Alctron equivalent of the Nady TCM1050 or TCM1150 (also Apex 460), do a search on Apex 460 mod and all will be revealed.

I've tried mine out on two voices so far. A country singer and my own voice. It really sounds good in the mic I have it in. It's really hard to get any sibilance from that capsule. It's very round and smooth. Not bright in any way, so you might be a little surprised at first. It doesn't sound like any Chinese capsule you've heard.

I'm very happy with the one I bought!

im planning on doing the royer mod to it with the scematic you sent me a while ago. IM only getting around to doing that now :D im not sure whether to buy a cinemag, jenson, lunhdel crimson or sowoter transformer.

http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/session9.htm

i was using that for a guide, even though their not microphones, the xformer is really the only other decision i have to make.

So my BV314 comes in the mail today and it's WAYYYYYY too big to fit on that 6802T board.... gonna have to call funkenwerk and see if they have one that isn't the size of rhode island....

anyways, i did a little bit of reading up on which caps to swap out, and i read that C8 is an important one to change. so i opened up the mic and i can't for the life of me find a C8.... here's some pics. can someone help me?

caps1mx3.jpg

caps2xf1.jpg

Anything on the other side if the board?

And where did you read about mods to the 6802? They may not be exactly equivalent to the 460.

Most tube mics operate on the same principles. The only caps to be concerned about are one that are in the signal path. Usually there is a small one on the capsule/grid side of the tube and a larger one on the output. Usually anywhere from .47uF to 3.3 uF if it uses a transformer. This looks (although I can't be cartain) similar to most of the Alctron circuits. This is best guess without a schematic.

Look at the two blue electrolytic caps. Read the value on the side of them. I would bet they read 1uF 450v. One of them has to be coupled from the tube to the transformer. That would be the one to replace with a good film cap.

Again, we really could use a schematic. More photos please.

BTW, what is chance's website where the models are listed? I can't remember.

hey phil

u know with the royer mod..Will the modded mic run off phantom power? or do you HAVE make the separate power supply?

Look at the two blue electrolytic caps. Read the value on the side of them. I would bet they read 1uF 450v. One of them has to be coupled from the tube to the transformer. That would be the one to replace with a good film cap.

Again, we really could use a schematic. More photos please.

BTW, what is chance's website where the models are listed? I can't remember.

actually, they read 250V 2.2uF....

will post more pics tomorrow.

capssidelkf9.jpg

capssidermq7.jpg

tubeside1oj2.jpg

tubeside2lu7.jpg

the little brown cap on the tube side reads:
F60
102J
and one end of it appears to be connected to the ground wire from the capsule and one end of R7 on the other side. the other end appears to be connected to a green wire that goes to the tube.

oh also, i located C7, which is the black cap that is slightly thinner than those big blue ones. (it says EFC 2.2uF 25V, or it might be 22uF, it's small and hard to tell....) still no C8 as far as i can see though.... unless that little guy on the tube side is C8, it doesn't appear to be labeled with a letter/number combo like the rest of them.

i am trying to locate a schematic to make this all much easier...

edit: so upon further inspection, it would make the most sense that the little brown cap on the tube side would be C8. now when it is suggested that a cap be removed, i assume i'd just jumper that connection instead?

hey phil

u know with the royer mod..Will the modded mic run off phantom power? or do you HAVE make the separate power supply?

No, it will not run on phantom power. In fact it will ignore phantom power.

You have to make the power supply.

capssidelkf9.jpg

capssidermq7.jpg

tubeside1oj2.jpg

tubeside2lu7.jpg

the little brown cap on the tube side reads:
F60
102J
and one end of it appears to be connected to the ground wire from the capsule and one end of R7 on the other side. the other end appears to be connected to a green wire that goes to the tube.

oh also, i located C7, which is the black cap that is slightly thinner than those big blue ones. (it says EFC 2.2uF 25V, or it might be 22uF, it's small and hard to tell....) still no C8 as far as i can see though.... unless that little guy on the tube side is C8, it doesn't appear to be labeled with a letter/number combo like the rest of them.

i am trying to locate a schematic to make this all much easier...

edit: so upon further inspection, it would make the most sense that the little brown cap on the tube side would be C8. now when it is suggested that a cap be removed, i assume i'd just jumper that connection instead?

You better get those two clipped wires out of there and get the grill back on ASAP or that capsule won't last long!

I don't think there is a C8 in this mic and that little brown cap is NOT the equivalent! 102J means 1000pF+/- 5%. C8 just refers to the output capacitor in the Apex/Nady circuit, and it doesn't appear to be the same here. And no, you have to replace the coupling cap by removing it using de-soldering braid or a de-soldering gun. The output cap has to be one if the electros.

C7 is for the filament here.

hey phil

docmattic

I don't understand why you are doing a Royer mod to a MXL V67. This is a mic many folks like unmodded. If you are basically going to gut the mic (replace capsule, transformer and circuit), why not get a cheaper mic to use as the shell to hold your components, instead of destroying a useable mic.

I'd suggest if you want to mod the 67, just replace a few key caps and maybe the transformer.

Buy some other cheapie to do the Royer md:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-SCM-900-Condenser-Mic?sku=277123
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXL-909-Vocal-Condenser-Microphone?sku=273100

Not trying to tell you what to do - just a suggestion. :)

the royer mod doesn't usually involve changing the capsule. some people prefer the v67 capsule to the 2001 capsule which is generally used as the platform for the royer mod. incidentally, the mod that rightonmusic and philgood are discussing is not the royer mod.

the royer mod doesn't usually involve changing the capsule. some people prefer the v67 capsule to the 2001 capsule which is generally used as the platform for the royer mod. incidentally, the mod that rightonmusic and philgood are discussing is not the royer mod.
Right - but if you look a docmattic's posts above he says he is replacing the capsule and the transformer, and is doing the Royer mod, which means he's replacing the solid-state V67 headamp also. So what's left? - body tube, connector and head basket.

Back