Just bought a new TASCAM 2488

mandpasbury

I recently purchased a TASCAM 2488, but I wanted to ask someone who knows---will the 2488 interface with MAGIX Audio Studio Deluxe, 2005 version, without the latnecy I could never overcome when using it with my 424 MKIII?

A bit more on the problem I am having with the 424 (and hope not to have with the 2488)---when I would record through the 424 to a MAGIX track, the sound upon playback would always "lag" behind the original tracks recorded. the second track I recorded would always get further behind as I played the two separate tracks together.

So, I recently purchased the 2488, and I know it has a lot of on-board effects, etc. but I will probably want to run it through MAGIX (if possible) for further processing. I am also getting Sonic Forge 7 and Sonar 4 form a friend who runs a professional studio. I will start using those whn he loads them on my computer, but until then...I only have MAGIX!

So, am I going to encounter the same problems with the 2488 and the MAGIX Audio studio software? Any comments, thoughts and instructions will be highly appreciated!

sounds to me like more of a problem with latency on your soundcard, can you give us some information on your set up.

I agree with fasterthanu - I would suspect latency in your sound card.

Anyway, welcome to the 2488 fold! I hope you enjoy yours; I'm loving mine.

new 2488

I am running Windows XP (SP2), 512 GB of RAM, 3gHZ Intel Pentium 4 processor. The soundcard is a Soundblaster Live! 24-bit. The friend I was refering to in my previous post told me that the Soundblaster was a good place to start, so...he does run a professional studio in Tulsa, OK, so I figured he knew what he was talking about.

IF you feel it is the Soundcard cauysing the latency, solutions ideas as well would be GREATLY appreciated!

I should get the 2488 on thursday via FedEx, so LET THE FUN BEGIN!!!

Either way, opinions on the latency and solutions!

I am running from the TASCAM 424 MKIII into the SoundblasterLive! 24-bit card via a, don't laugh, a RCA to 1/8" jack. I am just hoping that I can do most of the mixing on the 2488 as oposed to transfering it to the computer. I am doing a lot of mobile recording and being the 2488 has the CD-R/W, it would be nice to give the client a CD before leaving.

No problem, you will be able to do as much mixing on the 2488 as you want. It may not have a full library of effects processors, but everything else you could want is there.

In fact, it has two external effects loops, so a dual-engine processor can add a lot of flexibility.

Anyway, please post up with any questions about your 2488 whenever you need any help. :)

Well, I am mainly working with singer/songwriters at this point. So, I will not need a whole lot of onboard mixing at this time. BUT, on down the road, when I do need more processing (as I always need to use a bit more when working with rock/punk/country/blues/bluegrass bands), will the 2488 support this with the ease that I was lead to belive it would provide me?

Any ideas on the latency issue from my old 424 MKIII to the computer software (Magix)?

mandpasbury said:
BUT, on down the road, when I do need more processing (as I always need to use a bit more when working with rock/punk/country/blues/bluegrass bands), will the 2488 support this with the ease that I was lead to belive it would provide me?
I believe so. As a stand-alone unit it has limitations but, as I said above, using outboard effects processors will add a lot of power. Also, the availability of virtual tracks gives you a bucketful of track storage capability.

mandpasbury said:
Any ideas on the latency issue from my old 424 MKIII to the computer software (Magix)?
No, I don't use a PC in my home studio and I've never used a 424 MkIII so I can't speak to that issue. Anybody else?

Well I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but there are better ways to get the audio off the 2488 than running the RCA monitor out into the Soundblaster. You could always transfer the individual tracks to the PC via USB connection. What I do is record my mix as a bounce to an empty stereo pair track and then transfer the resulting 24bit stereo track to my PC for pre-mastering and editing. You can also use the internal CD burner to make a 16bit audio CD and then transfer that into your PC. The point is ther are better ways to get a higher quality sound file from the 2488 to your PC than running a stereo line out.

Yeah, thougth that that the USB out would be a much better way to get audio to my computer. I just got the 2488 today, so I will be experiemtning A LOT this weekend, so hope all of you TASCAM people will help me out if I get in a jam as I am sure I will post a bunch this wekeend once I start actually using the 2488....this 2488 is a HUGE step up from the 424 MKIII!

Back