Just bought a Macbook! Where to start.....

Novacoma

hey guys. i just today bought a macbook pro. i want to start recording right away. now i only know about recording what i've been browsing through this site. what do i need first? what kind of program? etc. also i don't want to spend money on equipment that i won't use six months later just because it is ideal for starters. i will get serious about this so i will be serious about my time and money that i put into this. please by all means, speak to me as if i know nothing and am extremely stupid. it will not offend me and i see it as the fastest way to learn as much as possible. thanks!

oh and i forgot to mention that i do want to record for the following: microphone, guitar, bass, keboard, drums

You need an interface between your instruments/mics and your MacBook. To really simplify it, all you need to decide is how many instruments you'll be recording at once and if you need MIDI input/output capabilities.

Then you need a program in your computer to record the sounds. One will probably come bundled with the interface you buy. You can download and demo "Light/Lite" versions of most software, see what works best for you.

Good place to start: http://www.tweakheadz.com/rigs.htm

MOTU makes solid hardware that works well with the Mac. It also comes with AudioDesk, which is the audio-only version of Digital Performer. Any of their interfaces would likely cover your needs.

Back