Just Beginning, clueless and need help!

tweedledee

Jere is my question. i have a synth that i love. a 76 key yamaha portable grand arranger with awsome sound but it only has midi cpabilities via USB connection and my sound card is not nearly good enough for midi to be nearly good enough.
so here is my question: is there any way that i can adapt my keybord or connect it to some contraption or other that will allow it to record audio rather than midi or do i need me a new synth?.......please advise soonest cuz i just ordered a bunch of studio equitment, mic, 8-track mixer,cubase and other stuff that i have no clue how to use and i wanna make sure i have everything i need before i attempt to learn or i'll just infuriate myself..

Last edited:
This would have been a great question to post before you ordered a bunch of gear you don't know how to use. Huh?

thanx

either you didn't understand my questuion or your just enjoying teasing a newbie, but i don't think i need the answer to this question to buy cubase, a mic, headphones and a mixer.
now if you can tell me how to record audio from my synth that would be alot more helpful.

Oh, yes, so sorry. I'm here for you, my brother. Is English a secondary language? I hope so.

Does the keyboard have an output other than midi?

ez_willis said:
Oh, yes, so sorry. I'm here for you, my brother. Is English a secondary language? I hope so.

Does the keyboard have an output other than midi?
I am actualy your sister. my name is Eva, nice to meet you.

all i see on it is a midi port and a pedal jack, but it records midi via the usb connection, don't ask me how.

Does your Yammie have any outputs other then the MIDI/USB? If you have analog line out, you can use to to go into your analog audio recording chain. If not, but you do have a headphone out, you can at least tap a stereo analog signal from that, but your signal levels and audio quality may be a little tricky to get at "studio quality".

ez may have been yanking your chain a bit, but he does have a valid point. You might want to get started on your introductry homework before your stuff arrives and certainly before you order anything else. You have a rather large learning slope ahead of you, and it's a good idea not to wait until all those knobs and sliders and switches oh my are staring you in the face and eating away at their return and warranty periods before you start learning how even hook it up, let alone how to use it.

It'll do you no good to learn that what you bought is missing something that you really need or that something doesn't work the way it's supposed to three days after your exchange and/or warranty perios are up because you spent all that time learning the difference between the trim control and the channel fader.

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
Does your Yammie have any outputs other then the MIDI/USB? If you have analog line out, you can use to to go into your analog audio recording chain. If not, but you do have a headphone out, you can at least tap a stereo analog signal from that, but your signal levels and audio quality may be a little tricky to get at "studio quality".

ez may have been yanking your chain a bit, but he does have a valid point. You might want to get started on your introductry homework before your stuff arrives and certainly before you order anything else. You have a rather large learning slope ahead of you, and it's a good idea not to wait until all those knobs and sliders and switches oh my are staring you in the face and eating away at their return and warranty periods before you start learning how even hook it up, let alone how to use it.

It'll do you no good to learn that what you bought is missing something that you really need or that something doesn't work the way it's supposed to three days after your exchange and/or warranty perios are up because you spent all that time learning the difference between the trim control and the channel fader.

G.
I know i need to learn. that's why i'm here.

there is a headphone jack. can you guide me from there? or would you reccomd i buy a new instrument?
and while we're on the subject can you tell me the difference betweena trim control and a channel fader?

Addendum: OK, saw your reply re the MIDI and USB outs only. What you should do is Google the model number (or just go to yamaha.com) and look for an online copy of the manual.

So far it doesn't look promising though, unless you stick with the MIDI aspects of it. BTW, you ordered all that gear and you're just using a stock computer soundcard for your interface? You'd be better off probably losing the mixer and using that money for a decent Firewire or USB audio interface instead.

EDIT:

You can use the headphone out, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's really using the improper voltage and impedance - right for headphones, but not standard line levels. In a pinch you probably could get it to work, maybe, but the signal quality could be disappointing. It's really the wrong tool for the job, and not worthy of the hundreds of dollars you've already spent.

As far as the difference between trim and channel fader, I seriously suggest that before you start asking a thousand such basic operational questions here, that you hit either a "home recording" search on Amazon for a dozen great introductory books on the whole subject, or find the same books at your local Border's bookstore in the Music section. We're here to help on these foruns, but this is not the place to either teach or learn an entire subject from the beginning.

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
Addendum: OK, saw your reply re the MIDI and USB outs only. What you should do is Google the model number (or just go to yamaha.com) and look for an online copy of the manual.

So far it doesn't look promising though, unless you stick with the MIDI aspects of it. BTW, you ordered all that gear and you're just using a stock computer soundcard for your interface? You'd be better off probably losing the mixer and using that money for a decent Firewire or USB audio interface instead.

G.

it was a home recording kit that was at a very reduced price. it ended up costing less than 350 bucks for everything together so if i have to put the mixer aside it's still a abargain assuming they are quality products as advertised. i will look into the audio interfaces. thanx for the tip. any interface you particularly reccomend?

just placing an order now for home recording for dummies and couple of other dummies books. hope that'll get me started. thanx for the help.

Back