Just an updated Mix effort

Fangar

Hey Guys,

Most of you have probably listened to this one before. I have found a bit of time to work on the mix a little more. Just took a lot of the suggestions from those who posted. Stereo-ed up the lead track a bit, and added more room to the distorted track. Dropped the drum level a little. Still need to re-track the bass with my new Sansamp when I get some more time. Hope it sounds a bit better this time to most of you.

Fangar

Tears of the Fertility Worm:
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1283/singles

Sounds pretty good, Mr. Vai. One thing in my little humble opinion is the clean guitar in the first passage seems a bit loud in the mix, while those drums in the next are was too far back. May as well bring that lead up a bit too.

Nice guitar playing! :cool:

Very cool Fangar.. I agree about the clean git in the beginning and the drums being too far back.. That's really all I have to bitch about on this tune.. very good guitar playing.. :cool:

I suck..

later

B

I agree with the other guys. What do you mean by stereo-ed a lead? It seemed it was on the right but then jumped to the center sometimes. Don't know if it was intentional.

Nice and clean recording. Lead is great but not refined, IMHO

Ok now I see what's botherin me the lead is on the side and I expect it in the middle and clean guitar on a side. I don't know if you ment it this way.
Realy like the sound of clean arpeggio guitar at the end. How is that done, if you don't mind my asking?

cheers

Sluice and Sabbath,

Thanks very much for checking it out. I see the points you that you fellas mentioned. I agree on both and will tweak it some more. Thanks for the compliments on the playing. As for the recording thing, I am still working on that a bit. Oh yeah Blackie you don't suck, I dig your stuff. Very interesting which is very refreshing. I am just getting ready to check out your latest post.

Fed,

As far as the Stereo-ed lead. The first mix was a mono track (lead) and Mixmkr suggested that I try to give it a bit more presence. I just duplicated the track and offset one slighlty. Just seemed to add a bit more depth to it. I am happy with the improvement there. I appreciate your input about the lead. By refined I am guessing you mean that it is not real planned out in some parts maybe? I might need some clarification. I know there are some hacked notes here and there too. The lead is a two track that is slightly offset from one another (Can't really call it stereo), but one is panned hard left and the other hard right. So you are correct, it is not down the middle. It feels to me like it has pulled a little bit left of center, but I am not sure that is what I wanted it to do (Kinda like when I tried playing golf once). The arpeggio thing at the end is just the notes of the chords picked on an electric guitar clean through a POD to ADAT. I like the feel of that too. I appreciate you taking the time to listem and even more reply.

Fangar

Fangar,

Most excellent job. The guitar playing was very fluid. Very tasteful and not overdone (IMHO).

The only thing I would change is, in the first part of the song the Lead and Rhythym guitars should trade places in the mix. Move the lead forward, and the rhythm back just a smidge.

I liked the song; it was easy to dance to.

Twist

twist said:
Fangar,

Most excellent job. The guitar playing was very fluid. Very tasteful and not overdone (IMHO).

The only thing I would change is, in the first part of the song the Lead and Rhythym guitars should trade places in the mix. Move the lead forward, and the rhythm back just a smidge.

I liked the song; it was easy to dance to.

Twist

Twist,

Thanks very much. I appreciate the kind words. I agree with the switch of the two. Pretty much what others have been saying too ( that the intro Clean Rhythym tracks are a bit too up front). I will tweak that in the next mix. Thanks again for the reply,

Fangar

clarifying...

Fangar,
I dig the playing man, (I get lost beyond harmonic minor scale)
You got the "not so refind" comment correctly. It just reminded me of when I try to play lead :-)o) and I kind of know what I want to do but not exactly so some phrases are little rushed or slow and always exactly on the money. But that just MHO.

cheers

Re: clarifying...

Fed said:
Fangar,
I dig the playing man, (I get lost beyond harmonic minor scale)
You got the "not so refind" comment correctly. It just reminded me of when I try to play lead :-)o) and I kind of know what I want to do but not exactly so some phrases are little rushed or slow and always exactly on the money. But that just MHO.

cheers

Fed,

Hey thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it. Ther are two parts in the song that were actually written to be in place (From a lead) standpoint. There were actually two more, but I played the whole lead in one take and decided to settle with the goofs for the time being. I am not the greatest at punching in and out, and to be honest have not had much time. I see your point though. I do however, like the songs direction. I sometimes get hung up on hearing other peoples tunes where the solos sound too rehearsed. I really like Players like Vai and Satriani, where their songs build on a theme but then still have several verses with free form stuff. I appreciate you coming back for the clarification.

Fangar

I must be on another planet....I don't remember this tune in your original recording...

I'd take this as an original Vai composition....

I'd have to go a listen to all my old Vai stuff to confirm, as I don't know one friggin song title from another on his stuff...like who really cares anywazz...

But...if you didn't sneak this one by us[and slip in a Vai tune], consider this the highest compliment....Seriously fantastic.

Mixmkr,

Than you very much. I too probably wouldn't be able to name 2 songs from Vai, though I could hum many of them. Note that I didn't say "Play" any of them. What's a title anyway? I sure appreciate your enthusiasm though as I value your opinion greatly. Got some new ideas burning holes in my head which I hope to get rolling soon. I have been working on an acoustic ballad with VOX that has been kicing my nuts lately. My first attempt at recording vocals. Much to learn. I will post it up when it is worthy of the space that the good waldo and dragon provide for us. Thanks again!

Cheers,

Fangar

Hey Fangar - this is a cool tune.

I'd say early Satriani - (Surfin with the Alien period) rather than Vai, but that's just my 2 cents.
Seems like your thinking about what you're playing in the begining of the tune, but once you get into the meat of it, you stop thinking and just start playing and it gets really nice in a hurry.
Nice!

foo

mixmkr

hey mixmkr,

Please go out and get Steve Via's 'Fire Garden' c.d.

It is some of the greatest music ever to be recorded IMOP..

It literally changed what I thought about guitar...

Fangar, cool! :cool:

later

B

:D

Foo,

Thanks for the listen and reply. That is exactly the way it happened. I planned out the intro lead. If you listen closely, you will here the switch to the front pickup. From that point on I was just add-libbing. Some stuff I like and others I clunked a bit, but I am happy with it for the time being. Thanks again.

Sabbath,

I have been away from Vai for a while. Is that a newer or older album? I was dissaopointed with his album with the lame singer guy. I have it around somewhere, Oh yeah it's call sex and religion. Please tell me that you own a copy of Passion and Warfare? That one rocks.

Fangar

hey Fang,

Fire Garden came out in 96.. It has been said (by not just me) that it's his best album.. It is a double c.d. One is all instrumental, and the other has him singing on all the tunes.. Yeah Passion and Warfare kicks ass... I did not like 'sex and religion' either..

Check out these 3 songs if you can.. If you cant find them , I could send them to you..

Fire Garden Suite
All about Eve
Dyin' Day

Theres even a song on it that contains part of his solo from the 'Crossroads' movie.......quite sick... quite sick indeed.:D

later

B

Back