Just about to go for it..

mwarkentin

No, not buying anything, but I am renting..

Here's what I have access to:

-Mackie 1604 VLZ-Pro
-5 Shure SM58s
-Several SM57s
-Kick mic
-1 AKG C1000
-2 Behringer DIs

Recording my band, lots of heavy stuff, some not so heavy stuff.

Now I'm going to be renting some other equipment.. for sure a Korg D1600. The store also has available:

Mics:
-Rode NT1, NT2, NT3, NTK, AKG Solid Tube, Marshall V67

Preamps:
-only the avalon 737 sp

Compressors:
-alesis nanocompressor
-alesis 3630
-behringer compressor

Now I'm thinking of renting the avalon pre, although it will be expensive, as I'm sure it will be great, and also has a compressor (so I wouldn't have to rent a separate one, seeing how everyone here seems to hate the alesis ones). I'm also thinking that I'll get the Rode NTK, as I've been reading a ton of great stuff about it. I'm checking with the store to see if they have any pairs of these mics, or a c1000 for my drum OHs.

Also.. the Korg can record only 4 channels @ 24 bit.. if I want more mics than that I'll have to record them at 16 bit I guess.. unless I submix on the Mackie? Can I record the drums at 16 bit and everything else at 24 bit?

I'm sure I'll have more questions but I can't think of it right now. :)

If you need more tracks you will have to record everything at 16 bit. I don't remember seeing ANY standalone DAW that would allow you to mix different bit depths - maybe one that costs as much as your house...

So I couldn't just play back the 16 bit tracks and record at 24 bit? $#*&$&#

Also, there doesn't seem to be a Korg section on this board, I remember there was a board dedicated to Korg stuff.. anyone got the address handy?

the way their brochure is worded, I think I was right. To be sure, get the manual here (6.5 MB)

www.korg.com/downloads/pdf/D1600_OM.pdf

after you download, open the manual and search for the word bit, or combination, or track - if there is any chance you can mix bit depths, you should find it that way. Hope this helped... Steve

Unless you are bouncing stuff to a computer for conversion you are stuck at 24 or 16 bit from the start to the mixdown. This is because all digital recorders have a master clock that syncs up the different files and it is impossible for most DAW's to sync tracks with different bit/sample rates.

I would accept the 4 tracks at a time limitation in favor of 24bit. Or is it only 4 tracks total?

Hey TRK - It's 4 and 8, as opposed to 8 and 16, from what I saw in their brochure... Steve

Oh yeah anybody got some tips for pitching renting that preamp to the other guys in the band? We're splitting the costs.. I'm the only one who's done any reading about recording.. so what can I tell them.

The avalon is the only one I can get, otherwise it's through the Mackie.

Tell them that you can never make your signal sound better than the mic and preamp put out. You can only change it and degrade it from that point on. If they want any chance of a truly fat pro sound then get the Avalon. If you stick with the Mackie you can still get a fine sound but it will probably be a bit thin in comparison.

Back