Just a Thought....

analog4

Hey,

Any of you guys/gals interested in putting together our own
distribution network for independantly produced CDs???

An interesting mental exercise if nothing else.

Graham.

Yep, I thought about that a several times, not only for my own music but also for other young bands in the area...

But I am not really 100% aware of all the financial consequences, plus the fact I gotta remember that few shops/stores will buy from a unknown distributor.

Hey Brett,

I just popped off a rant on another thread in this section about
what I have been doing locally to develop a market for original
artists..

Let's consider a little blue sky for a moment---The market, as in
buyers of CDs is obviously the public..period...
I have been active locally in creating public awareness of independant artists primarily through showcasing and pushing
to create public venues. Given the acts are of a consistent
quality, the public will, by osmosis, begin to relate to their respective styles and songs...It takes a bit of time, but it works..
Once the local public develops a taste for its regional music, selling CDs consistently, even as an indie, is possible..
It does require a commitment on the part of the artists to
perform and promote their material...Without that you're sunk
before you start...

I'd like to discuss this topic in depth and I don't believe figuring out how to divvy up the cash serves any useful purpose at this point...

All problems could be overcome by moving slowly but steadily.

Graham.

There have been a few folks who have tried this. Actually, one is called IDN (Independent Distribution Network) The original premise here was that band members / fans / whoever, would be IDN reps for their area & do the legwork getting the catalog and local artists into the hometown stores - orders were to be filled by IDN. The catalog is/was also to be available on the internet.
Getting the reps out onto the street has been a different story, I guess.
There are of course, more pro indie music websites out there but getting the release visibility and into the stores is the key, IMO.

Thanks for joining the thread,

I'm not really talking about things like indie pool here in Canada
that operate as glorified rack jobbers. They stick independant releases in retaillers to gather dust....Not my thing.

What myself and a couple of musicians are doing here is
deliberately set up showcase venues for the expressed purpose
of having the public hear original material of all sorts...This is
done as part of an overall plan to consistantly expose the public
to these artists. Over time it has been working..

This is more effort than I suppose musicians are used to putting
into promotion, but many hands make light for light work.
I believe any successful marketing strategy for homereccers
will have include this type of regional infrastructure.

Public response has been very good.

Graham.

analog4 said:
Thanks for joining the thread,

I'm not really talking about things like indie pool here in Canada
that operate as glorified rack jobbers. They stick independant releases in retaillers to gather dust....Not my thing.

What myself and a couple of musicians are doing here is
deliberately set up showcase venues for the expressed purpose
of having the public hear original material of all sorts...This is
done as part of an overall plan to consistantly expose the public
to these artists. Over time it has been working..

This is more effort than I suppose musicians are used to putting
into promotion, but many hands make light for light work.
I believe any successful marketing strategy for homereccers
will have include this type of regional infrastructure.

Public response has been very good.

Graham.

Yeah, that's a good game plan - I've done that gig. The problem with a lot of bands down here is that they don't stick together long enough to cultivate that fan base & make those sales (or get people through the door.) I'm always trying to explain to bands I jam with that just because you record a CD or whatever that people don't just show up to marvel at your greatness. It's hard work. I remember when Dave Mathews & Hootie & Co. were beating the pavement and selling CDs out of the trunk of the car. It's damn hard work.

Best of luck & glad that things are going well.

Yeah, keep us posted about your experiences!

Distributing some indipendent stuff is one of the plans that cross my mind when I graduate from the conservatory in two years, so I'll be happy with any stories about your experiences...

greets!

Brett

Hey Jim,

Actually, it's a whole bunch of fun up here. The main reason is
we have a small group of people who pitch in.
Starting a songwriter's night at a local hall with 3 people
and charging acouple of bucks at the door to cover rent seems
too small time for some but that's how it starts..

People in the southeast should remember this as that's exactly
how the early country/country blues guys did it..Would Jimmie
Rogers have put out any records if he looked at how hard it would be. Nobody in his day wanted to hear a white man sing
"coloured".. Woody Guthrie riding the rails across the country
singing music in labour camps for his supper..

They loved what they did..........

Graham.

Thats one of the services I ofer with my attempt at a startup company. Only intrest but no takers right now from bands.

I request an initial cosignment of CD's shoot for 50 but will work down to 10 at $5 a piece and I keep what ever else I can get for them and I buy subsequint shipments at whosale.

I might have a taker here soon with a local christian hardcore band that been commercially kicking everyones butt . . . 1000 CD's in less than 20 shows if I remember right. I figure once I get one more will catch on as I demonstrait my ability. Word of mouth works both ways :)

. . .and settleing on a Pay scale would be the main motovator as logistics arn't bound by emotion and pride :)

Hey Zek,

There's an outfit that operates in every major city in Canada
called indie pool which operates as a rack jobber for indie bands.

What they do is charge a membership fee of 200.00 and then
distribute tapes at a consignment rate of 2.00 per unit...There
is no stocking minimum..I inderstand they do very well and have
racks in all the Virgin Record stores... By the by Virgin Record stores have a special section for indies and will take consignments.

I've mentioned this before in previous threads but a number of
old country music players in Alberta got together and started a
sort of distributing co-op where they would play at farmer's markets,etc (9 guys) and collectively sold over 80,000 units in a year. Not big numbers granted but they did alright for themselves..

Historically, musicians view each other as competitors and have operated in a dog eat dog environment...I'm not quite sure why----never have understood it...I do know a lot of positive things have happened when a few groups get together and help each other out with marketing as people on this board help each other out on other things....

Graham.

Back