Just a quick clarification about EQing.

PhilLondon

EQing - I've had some time to read up a bit more and I'm learning little by little, but mainly, by playing around with it I've got the best results.

So say with a guitar track that I have, I start with the low frequency on a parametric EQ and cut the lows until I hear a difference to the tone, and I do the same with the highs. That way I can hear what frequencies are not involved massively in the tone I am using which when cut, should leave some space open for instruments that do use that space. Then I find out what frequencies ARE being used in the tone and then boost or cut them depending on the tone I'm going for.

I might then cut some more of the highs or lows depending on what I'm doing with other instruments. I can't do it just by listening yet so I find that this works somewhat for me.

Does this sound like a reasonable process, or am I way off?

Thanks.

It does, though I don't know about cutting the highs like that. It's good to roll off the bottom to get rid of the mud. But you might be losing some presence on the high end. But that's one of those things that has as many opinions as there are frequencies. :listeningmusic:

I have some standard tricks for certain specific problems, but I don't by default do the same thing to a given instrument every time. Any applied eq is specific to a given tonal situation that I've identified by listening.

I think it may be that when you record, for example, your only bass guitar through your only direct input you start to fall into standardized "bass eq" habits. But when you record many different bass guitars through a variety of signal chains you find you need to be more flexible and responsive the the specifics of each source.

Back