Jupiter 6 or Andromeda?

Jupiter 6 or Andromeda

• Jupiter 6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andromeda

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

69ShadesofRed

So, those that know what would you choose? A Jupiter 6 or the Andromeda? What are the pros and cons between the two. Ultimately which one sounds better? Anything the Jupiter can do that the Andromeda can't? How about vice-versa?

I am looking for an analog synth to complement my Kurzweil k2600 and I am kind of torn between these two.

The andromeda is without a doubt more flexible, it is for example multitimbral and has a useful midi implementation, not to mention very flexible modulation routing. It is on the other hand typically twice as expensive, and then of course, they don't sound the same.

So, you'll have to make that call yourself, since there is no obvious choice, because it depends on what you want.

Regebro,

Thank you for the reply. I understand where you're coming from, and perhaps I should've been more specific/or should elaborate on what I am looking for. I have messed around with the Andromeda and I like how it feels and sounds in general. Some people have complained that the Andromeda is too complex, but that's not really an issue with me, as one can judge from the fact that I have a k2600. Unfortunately I have never had the opportunity to play the Jupiter, that's why I thought I'd through a poll out there and see what people think.

I do industrial music. So harsh and noise are definitely what I like. The Kurzweil is great at this, as well as the more prettier and warmer stuff. However, I still want to get something as a different source of oscillators, filters and such that makes the warmer side of things easier, to contrast.

So, if I have to strip it down to the basics, my question ultimately comes down to these:

1. How would people compare the sound of the oscillators and filters between the two synths?

2. How fast are the envelopes?

3. What's the range of the LFOs (speedwise)?

Other clarifications

1. Flexible routing and modulation matrix is definitely a plus, but not necessarily a deal breaker.

2. I don't care about multitimbrality

3. Good MIDI implementation is important. My understanding is, that not all the knobs on the Andromeda send/receive MIDI, I heard that Alesis had promised and OS update that would add this feature, but I am not sure if this ever happened or not. Can everything that can be modulated by hand on the Jupiter be also modulated through MIDI?

subtractor, I would not look at the virus, the nord lead or the ms2000, because my Kurzweil k2600 is at least as capable a VA (among other things) as those, if not more. The DSP oscillators and filters actually sound pretty close to that of the Virus, and the nord is much colder sounding to me. There is nothing the ms2000 can do that the K2600 can't. Please forgive me if this comes accross as arrogant, it's definitely not my intention, those are just the capabilities of the instrument. I am not looking for virtual analog. I am looking for true Analog. I am even considering Analog Solutions modular stuff, but having something with patch memory is definitely is nice and a concern while gigging.

Another synth I have thought of is the Waldorf Microwave XT because I love the Waldorf filters and the wavetable synthesis looks interesting, that's one thing that's been difficult to get on the Kurz. Not a true analog, rather a hybrid, but it's unique enough to warrant consideration.

How do you like the Jup 4? My understanding is that the oscillators and filters are the same, and pretty much the main difference is the polyphony between the models. Why are you not impressed with the andromeda? How would you say the Jup 4 oscillators and filters sound compared to the andromeda?

I've owned a k2500s for the past three years so I understand.
So go spend a bunch of money on the andromeda if that makes you happy. It's a POS and you can tell that by it's rapidly declining prices ever since it came out.
Or go and buy a jupiter6 if that makes you happy. They are awesome, but ancient and rarely without problems.
From my short interpretation of of your knowledge, gained through the words you type my first impression is that maybe you read too much... It seems like you have analog fever or something, I don't know... But how much time have you had actually playing with different synths? As a true synth lover, there's not one I don't want. So I don't understand the elite attitude you display toward this subject.
You are obviously ignorant of synthesizers in general except for some websites, newsgroups, and/or boards like this. Except for your k2600... Like I said, that is a synth of titanic proportions, but...
I'm sorry but I just can't take you serious...
You are asking us to vote on a Jupiter6 or an Andromeda!?
And you blow off any suggestion of any synth just because it's virtual analog?
:confused:
What other synths do you own or can honestly say you have played or played with, for at least a few hours?

Subtractor,

The attitude was totally not elitist. I didn't blow off any of your suggestions, in fact I explained in detail why I wouldn't consider the synths that you suggested. I have considered the Virus and the Nord Lead in the past, but decided that they were not for me, for the reasons I already mentioned. I have put the Virus and the Kurzweil side by side, compared them, and have programmed identical sounds on both. That's how I know that the oscillators and the filters sound pretty similar. Wish the Kurzweil offered the ability of feeding back the envelopes like the Virus does... but it is possible to get exponential and other curves on the Kurzweil envelopes through the use of FUNs and other means. Was a great educational experience.

If by being ignorant you mean that I am not familiar with the synths of the 80s and early 90s yes you're correct. I have been doing this for maybe about 4 years, so no I wasn't brought up with synths my entire life. But to assume that I have not spent time with the modern stuff and that I don't know my way around synths is a bit short sighted.

You're suggesting synths, like a catalog list, without even saying why you'd choose them. Well, a simple catalog can do that, just flip a page and say "oh yah, I need this, I need that too, oh, yah, look at that red color, and those pretty LEDs... that'll definitely get the girls' attention".

I was hoping for an in depth discussion of the synths I mentioned, but instead all I get from you is "andromeda is crap, just look at how their prices are dropping" and "Jupiter is awesome"... I am sorry, but that's not telling me anything. You didn't even answer my question when I asked you why you think the damn thing sucks, you're not even saying why the Jupiter is great. If you're so educated in synths, one would hope that you'd give more in-depth answers than that.

I am asking questions exactly because I don't want to blow my money away, especially since I don't have much. And I am not going to spend my money on synths where I can get their sounds by other means (not blowing them off because they are Virtual Analog, nothing against them. All three synths you mentioned are great instruments and I have suggested them to others, and if I had unlimited budget I'd definitely take the Indigo and a Nord Modular... both would make life easy for gigging and sound great.).

Last edited:
69ShadesofRed said:
Can everything that can be modulated by hand on the Jupiter be also modulated through MIDI?

Nope. The Jupiter 6 is the first Roland synth with MIDI. The MIDI implementation is basically non-existant. :)

Howver, a firmware upgrade is available from a third party, that should solve that problem:
http://www.synthcom.com/Europa/europaFaq.html

Basically, you should get the Jupiter-6 if you want that Roland analog sound. And if that's not the sound you want you shouldn't get it.
I guess you have to look for samples on the net.

Well,

Further listening has shown me that neither of these great synths would serve my immediate needs well. So, I've opted for the Juno 106 as it seems to come close to sounding what I am looking for.

Thanks regebro, wise words indeed :)

I like the sounds of the Andromedea. Very warm, very synthy, great for club/house/techno/ect ect ect. However, I don't feel it's worth paying whats on the price tag though.

anppilot1 said:
I like the sounds of the Andromedea. Very warm, very synthy, great for club/house/techno/ect ect ect. However, I don't feel it's worth paying whats on the price tag though.
I agree. Give it another year or so and it will be about half the price.

Back