June Song

Sounds Pro, Man!!!

(check out Crawdad's "suck" thread, lol).

Seriously, sounds damned good to me...I don't know much, so wait for others, but I still want more verb on the vocal...but it kinda' reminds me of the early metallica recordings as is.

I think those were "pro."

I think I like your music more than you like mine. :)

I liked this one. The drums sound great. Played well too. Good guitar work as well. Liked some of those weird sounding riffs in the intro. I especially liked the guits in the section begining at about 3:12 or so.

There was some kind of weird stop at about 2:11.

I thought the rhythm guits sound real good, but I think if they had more in the low-mids they might sound a bit better. This could probably use a "bigger" sounding bass too.

Good harmonies. Vocals sound a bit too dry for my tastes. Some pitchiness there as well.

All in all, a fine job though.

musical instrument sounds... 9.9
vocal sound.... 6.5
song riffage.... 9.0

overall 9.5

(out of 25!!) ha!...no..outta 9.9

work on the sound of your vocals...not nec the performance, but the sound, and it'll improve that much more.

your drum sequencing always amazes me...not to mention your gtr sound too.

I really think you have the best canned drums on the board.. How long did it take you to program the drums for this tune? Was all the programming done in Sonar? I have Sonar 2.2 and it scares me.. This is a great tune.. Straight up metal..

Same thing with the vocals as the other song and I remeber you said you mixed them at the same time.. The vocals are performed better on this tune.. They are definitely getting better with every song..

I recently joined a band as the drummer and we jam once a week for 3 hours.. I replaced a guy who was great, but not very cool.. I'm not great by any means, but I get along with everyone.. It's metal.. The singer sounds like a cross between Halford/dickinson/Ian Gillan.. He has that vibrato thing happening that makes it sound like old school metal with a a nice edge.. Maybe one day they'll find a real drummer..

sorry to go off topic but I have a buzz..

ass kickin' tune!!!!

Very nice drum programming/work there! They sound excellent!

Not really my style of song, but the recording sounds excellent on this end. Well balanced ... The vocals are a little bit hard to make out in certain spots...but that would be my only complaint (just nit-picky stuff)

Very good recording! :)

chrisharris - I know about the verb thing. I should have used more verb here, but I had this already mixed when I saw all the verb comments on the May Song. I'm too lazy to go back to my old recordings (and hey, this was already a few days old :D ) And thanks for the mix comments.

TripleM - the 3:12 part was one of my favourites also on this song. The weird stop at 2:11 ...It's really a coincidence. The same riff repeats for a while, but I guess that 'weird stop' sounds like it does because the vocals also stop at the same point. The riff is meant to be that way. The guitar mix.. I have the problem of fighting between guitars and drums. This time I guess the drums won a bit. :D And the vocals.. yeah "some" pitchiness here and there :D

mixmkr - Thanks :D I too think the vocal department really needs work. I hope I had the time to do them more. I already sung a bunch of stuff when I had the time. Next week I'm off to work so I don't have the time.

sam - Thanks. The drum programming.. hmm... I don't really remember that well. It's a bit hard to tell, since I programmed this as I was writing and arranging the song. But, when I make a cover song, where I already know what to put where it can take from 2 - 10 hours. It really depends on the length and complexity. There's a lot of cut and pasting and I've got so used to Sonar so it's a lot faster than it used to be. And good for you on that band thing. Damn I wish I had a band or even a "band" just to jam with a couple times a week or a month just to get the band feel and things like that. Your singer sounds like a gift from god :D Halford/Dickinson/Gillan eh ? :O

boydrj - Thank you too :D Yeah, the vocals are maybe hard to understand here and there. That may be because of bad accent of mad mixing or both. But thanks.

Yes.. whoever said this has a "Kill Em All" feel was dead on.

Mang! I live for this kind of riffing and yet it's weird it's so much cleaner and crisper here than when I go back to the Met etc.. early stuff.

M
A
J
O
R

S
E
E
K
A
N
D
E
S
T
R
O
Y

M
O
M
E
N
T

A
T

:

I feel like the vox guy may be struggling a bit. He's good but the rest of the band is outpacing him here somewhat in terms of impact.

Perkele!

AWESOME work on the drums and guitars...

I don't care for that hihat, but other the rest of the drums are just plain brilliant.

Kinda Megadeth-ish thrash metal. Very cool riffs, and again, merciless drum programming.

Hyvää!

Hey guys, thanks again. It's an inspiration to hear the criticism (good AND bad). I might spend more mixing the next one's vocals, I think. :D

and Khompewtur... I KNEW that part was familiar (you're talking about the drum hits there?) but I couldn't put my finger on it so I thought it must have been my imagination. Maybe that's why I changed the drum beat twice after that :D

I've liked everything I've heard from you so far, and this is my favorite. Sorry, no real mix comments except vocals can sit better. I like that your voice is more punk rock to contrast with the slick metal playing. Obviously tons of work goes into your stuff. Great job!

Perkele indeed! (or Verdomme! as we say in holland ;) )

Lots of great metalguitarists on this board. A great metaldrummer could have a hell of a time around here...;)

Tight performance and programming. I likey. Love the riff around 1:31. Then there's that typical metal bassplaying (obviously played by a guitarist and a pick, it's the typical early Annihilator sound....I know I should hate it as a bassplayer but I love it....the best approach for this kinda music....one thing: a tiny bit more beef in the sound would be nice though)

The only thing that bothers me are the vocals. It sounds forced and it's sooooo dry.

Downloaded this last night, but I had to take off.

How much you want for that snare?

What a kick ass piece of music. This makes my new tune sound very weak incomparison.

Killer instrumentation. I like the vocals better on this tune than the last one. Maybe could use a little verb with a healthy pre-delay to blend a bit.

Guitars sound phenominal. As do the drums. Fucking huge.

Impressive man!

fprod south - thanks for the input, and once again about that dry vocal comment. You're all right on the money on that.

Pedullist I have to tell you the bass is also programmed :D The vocals are indeed forced as I'm no vocalist. I wanted to do these songs with vocals for a change and it was the fastest way of doing it (doing it myself, that is).

SLuiCe Hey don't worry, your new tune is anything BUT weak. I'll really have to look into using reverb and delays on vocals. Well, I actually had a slow and quiet (15 wet, 100 dry, it says) tempo delay on the vocals. I think the drums were louder than guitars again on this one. The battle goes on... :D Thanks

CrankyOne said:

Pedullist I have to tell you the bass is also programmed :D

:eek:

*cleans his ears*

*checks the song, with headphones this time*

You're right. That explains the fluidness. Real bassplayers aren't that fluid. Only guitarists with a pick and guitarists with a nifty gift for programming are... ;)

:D

What a kick-ass tune!

Great sounds & playing/programming! I can totally overlook the vocal issues on this. They aren't that bad anyway. At least you sing in key, and your phrasing is good.;)

I need to find a way to listen to this while I'm riding.

Back