Jumping the shark

grimtraveller

If only for a moment.....
Has there been a moment in a TV show or film franchise you've been into when it "jumped the shark", that is, hit a point where you felt it got demonstrably worse and started sliding downhill to the point where you just couldn't watch it anymore ? What was the show/film and what was the moment ?

Well.... the original Happy Days "jump the shark" episode is probably a good example. :-)

I think many movie/film follow-ups or part-two's (or three's, etc.) jump the shark - almost by nature.

As an adult I've never watched that much prime time television (it's mostly awful, IMO) - but I assume there are numerous examples of the hey-day or prime period of a program turning at some point to the "less desirable" period of episodes.

I bought a DVD set of Sons Of Anarchy series 1 for £1.
I thought it was pretty good so went out and bought the box set of all 7 series for £40.
It came close to turning me off when those americans were supporting the IRA.
They eventually found how 'trustworthy' the IRA were.

I see it happening all the time with TV series. They start great in first season and suddenly the production team seems to get lost and the story begin to not make sense anymore.

Every SitCom ever - they all jump the shark after 3 seasons.
I think many movie/film follow-ups or part-two's (or three's, etc.) jump the shark - almost by nature.
I see it happening all the time with TV series. They start great in first season and suddenly the production team seems to get lost and the story begin to not make sense anymore.
I came across this interesting video that kind of addresses the points made here.

24 had a pretty amazing run that left definitely left the wife and wanting more seasons.

I picked up all of 24 from various charity shops, plus a 'London' special.
It was good. Never saw so many car/plane crashes, nuclear bombs.
Kiefer knows how to keep us in suspense.

Remember a series called Fringe? That was captivating.....until it not only went off the tracks but fell into a ditch.

The Blacklist has done the same thing. Man...I was addicted to that series...but now....no...terrible.

Back