JP8000 or MS2000?

akpcep

Hi all,

I'm getting a bit sick of my softsynths, and the bloody latency that means I have to drag everything I play back a few ms to make it sync up.

I was thinking of getting a synth, that had a shedload of features (arpeggiator, simple sequencing, lots of hands-on control of parameters) and that sounded wicked. I really like analog-style burbling, wailing, stabbing, everything that sounds proper "synthy".

I've heard the Roland JP8000 a little bit, and had the MS2000 recommended to me when I was considering a MicroKorg, but the MicroKorg is apparently fiddly to edit and quite expensive for what it is. I think I can get a second hand JP8000 or MS2000 for just a little bit more, and they've got full-sized keys.

Basically, I'm a guitarist with a home studio so it has to be pretty accessible! Would appreciate any help or comments...

Both are capable and good synths. I personally would go for the MS2000, the Roland VA is kinda weak imho and the MS is definitely the more popular of the 2

Thanks dude.

Just been looking at alesis Micron as well, which seems to fare well against the MicroKorg. I suppose it's good to have so much choice, but it's a bit tricky trying to decide what to splash out on.

I think the main thing for me is that it must be easily "twiddlable", as a creative tool. I want to be able to just go crazy on it and let it inspire me. Anything that involves vast amounts of manual-reading to get anything workable is just not gonna cut it.

Actually, I should change the topic of this thread to "What is the most FUN synth?"

Which synth, in your experience, has the most out of the box fun factor? The kind of piece of gear that no matter WHAT you do, it still sounds cool?

I currently have a jp8000, and had an ms2000 rack a few years back.Its hard to just judge by onboard sounds,because it depends what kind of sounds you like...I think you would be happy either way you go,I got rid of most them stock sounds,and have customizes sounds I found on the web,and It made me like my jp8000 more then ever....I think if you look on ebay sometimes you can find a studio electronics SE1 ( not the SE1X) for about the same as the jp8000,and ms2000 its a rack,but it is a real analogue synth..lots of knobs...I had a moog voyager,and I think the SE1 comes with way more user pre-sets that are just awsome....however the voyager has a new $300 upgrade that has about another 700 sounds, wich were programed by herbie hancock,fred wreck,etc,etc..the Se1 has an upgrade to the Se1x for about 300 as well...But definatley the SE1 is far better sounding then the korg,and roland,and if you find the right seller on ebay it can be affordable,if you can deal with out having alot of knobs to edit.. STUDIO ELECTRONICS has a model ATC(they also have newer ATCX) and they are better sounding as well....In fact Im gonna get an ATC hopefully soon.Some may argue and say the VA are just as good and you can customize good sounds and you can....but the moog,SE1,ATC..have more balls..its like comparing a stock 5.0 mustang--the VA to a mustang5.0 with a paxton supercharger,and nitrous-SE1,MOOG,ATC...yeah they both mustangs and are fast..but the one has some big Balls..here is a good link to get reader reviews
for the SE1 http://www.sonicstate.com/synth_reviews/studio_se-1.cfm
for the atc http://www.sonicstate.com/synth_reviews/studioelect_atc1.cfm

I seen one a few weeks back on ebay for about that...it had a few hours left on bid....so who knows....I seen an asr10 at about the 400 mark as well sometimes instead of synth section they get put in electronic keyboard....I noticed some get overlooked in there yielding a better deal

The MS2000b and the JP are both really good synths , I have both and love the sounds that i have created on both. The JP has the roland supersaw (get the 8080 if possible) the MS does not have this, the JP also has "motion control" which is great for creating patches and moving certain controls by hand and being able to record this change kinda like motorized faders on a mixer. There are a ton of patches for trance/house , i have and have used the Vengeance set with great results.

The MS2000 also has its own unique sound, I think the MS is probably slightly easy to find your way around for a beginner as everything is in a logical place and even has flow diagrams on the front panel to be referenced. The MS has a great and easy to edit step sequencer as well as a fairly capable onboard effects section. The JP has effects but is not as complete as the MS's.

Another synth to mention here is the Access virus B (sells cheap on ebay) . Really good ( although too used ) for trance sounds. The Virus is arguably one of the best VA synths on the market today. Out of the 3 it is probably the hardest to get to grips with, especially when you like to animate the envelopes for the filters ( thats just my opinion though ).

Alesis Ion has a ton of great reviews but i have no personal experience with it. I almost bought it last year but didnt like the attitude of the Alesis rep that deals with Canadian distribution ( tried to tell me if i buy it online from a US online store "read sweetwater" I would have no warrenty in Canada ).

hope that helps you without making you even more undecisive. :D

Ha ha yeah, but thanks for your input!

I think realistically I'm going to have to go and get my hands on as many of these recommendations as possible, but as you may well agree, it's a different thing in the showroom to when you get it home and try using it with the rest of your gear/live situations etc.

Although many people tell you flipping through the presets of a synth is not a great way to check them out i disagree.

In the store a quick flip through and a certain amount of fiddling with controls gives you a great idea on what the synth is capable of.

Having said that , most of my synths had their patch banks wiped and replaced by my own or others downloaded off the web.

Which synth, in your experience, has the most out of the box fun factor? The kind of piece of gear that no matter WHAT you do, it still sounds cool?

Roland V-synth (keyboard not rack) wins hands down in my opinion.

Has a ton of real time performance controls and I love mine. ;)

Ive had it almost a year and still spend hours just experimenting and programming it

once you get into hardware synths $2000 is not enough because you HAVE to own them all ;)

Seriously, I've have just three analog modelling synths in the form of JP-8000, OB-12 and Novation Nova.

Out of the three I'd say that the Nova is much bigger in terms of sounds and features... but each synth has it's own character, which is why I'm suggesting that you need to own them all :)

Well my 2 cents here!!!

For "Fun factor": Alesis Ion and JP8000 both beat out the MS2000.

For "Sound Factor":
#1 Alesis Ion
#2 MS2000
#3 JP8000

For Keyboard Action:
#1 MS2000
#2 JP8000
#3 Alesis Ion

I'm giving you those 3 here, and all are fine boards and have their strengths. But seriusly consider a used SuperNova II, one of the K-Station series (Or alternatively the new X-Stations, which add Controller functionality and audio interfacing via USB).

i would get 8080 first, the bothe sounded very different anyway... and all garentee easy to mix in most kind of music, but with just one ms2000 you cant play two 7th chords without hearing voice gets cut out,

Back