jordokid gets religion...

jordokid

gnubie
...well not quite, but I did record one of my favorite hymns and of course I had to once again take poetic license and stamp my brand of coarse wit (sic) all over the poor thang so if you are a fundamentalist with no sense of humor ya might wanna abstain.

gracias de antemano,
el jordo

"Just a Closer Walk with Thee"

http://www.nowhereradio.com/jordokid/singles

i really enjoyed this! i love the original and i wasn't offended. the recording of the horns was very nice. very clean. your voice is good as well. only complaint was...i hate to say it...the drums. they were a little low in the mix and a little less punchy than i like. just a matter of preference though.

can i request that you guys record "i'll fly away"?

I'm listening in the cans and I can hear the drums fine, but I think that's because the stereo space of this mix is really good. It's very pleasant to listen and fills the spectrum really well.

I liked it.

Take care,
Chris

I record some gospel songs with my family, guess I am somewhat a fundamentalist when it comes to wrecking hymns..

But this is VERY cool. I personally think the drums are perfect for the style of music. Have that 'big band swing' flair to them.
IMHO.

You certainly didn't wreck it. I remember a line that went 'make a joyful noise' - seems fitting.

Lots of gospel songs need a facelift. Good job!

Very clean sound. I think the vocals should be just a tad louder and more legible though. I disagree with one of the comments on the drums. In my system they sound good. The spatial arrangement seemed really nice to me.

I liked it from the first tromb note! It reaked of "tempo change" from the intro and delivered. I kinda wish it would have gone back to the slower tempo vocals for the exit but, that's just me.

I thought the drums sounded thin in comparision to the rich and full horns, bass and vocals. Then I changed my mind around 4:10 when the piano had center stage. Then I thought I should mention it anyway:);). Probably just my impoverished ears.

Thanks for posting this one.
It was a nice lift.

Peace,

Theron.

I thought it sounded great.

Sachmo couldn't have done it better.
That tempo change is cooool!

Really enjoyed it,fine playing indeed.

Great stuff.

Best to you,
Pete

dang...I look out the window...see the ole might Mississippi flowing by...

You can't wreck an old time hymn like this...at least not with the vibe you gave it. There's nothing sarcastic nor blasphomous (sp?) about your version. I love the "air" to the sound.

Thanks for all the kind remarks. Im glad I didnt seem to step on anyones spiritual toes. I myself am an apostate Southern Baptist and a missionary kid to boot and I know that guys like me can sometimes be the most radical- you know the "son of the Preacher Man syndrome".
This was one of the first live sessions I recorded here in "Moco de Pavo (Turkey Snot) Productions" and I was nervous as- explicative deleted-. I was intimidated by playing with these guys as they are some of the best jazz dudes in Spain and at the same time trying to record. There was another "technician" manning the computer who failed to realize that the trumpet was not being recorded during all nine tunes that we did so he had to come back and over dub his stuff which is why you can hear two trumpets at times but he did bring, the spaced tekkie, a AKG 414 so we will cut him a little slack.
I actually mixed the drums a little more up front than they originally were before doin the empeethree but maybye I overcompensate the caution I take because as a drummer I feel I might mix the drums hotter than the way most people hear them.
Another weird incident occurred in this tune and that is due to my ignorance I had my system set to a six minute time limitation and the whole thing shut off on the last note of the tenor solo. I streched the last note of the tenor solo and we did a major paste job to recreate an ending. Listen closely at 6:00 and youll probably hear the glich.
¡Praise -insert favorite deity, prophet, holy person and or computer whiz- for digital audio post-production!
thanks again,
el jordo

Back